Re: Read only transactions - Commit or Rollback

From: Nörder-Tuitje, Marcus <noerder-tuitje(at)technology(dot)de>
To: "Grega Bremec" <gregab(at)p0f(dot)net>,"PostgreSQL Performance List" <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Read only transactions - Commit or Rollback
Date: 2005-12-20 11:54:06
Lists: pgsql-performance
Mmmm, good question.

MVCC blocks reading processes when data is modified. using autocommit implies that each modification statement is an atomic operation.

on a massive readonly table, where no data is altered, MVCC shouldn't have any effect (but this is only an assumption) basing on

using rowlevel locks with write access should make most of the mostly available to reading-only sessions, but this is an assumption only, too.

maybe the community knows a little more ;-)