Re: Slow Postgresql server

From: Guido Neitzer <lists(at)event-s(dot)net>
To: PostgreSQL Performance <pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Slow Postgresql server
Date: 2007-04-12 14:08:03
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches pgsql-performance

On 12.04.2007, at 07:26, Ron wrote:

> You need to buy RAM and HD.

Before he does that, wouldn't it be more useful, to find out WHY he
has so much IO?

Have I missed that or has nobody suggested finding the slow queries
(when you have much IO on them, they might be slow at least with a
high shared memory setting).

So, my first idea is, to turn on query logging for queries longer
than a xy milliseconds, "explain analyse" these queries and see
wether there are a lot of seq scans involved, which would explain the
high IO.

Just an idea, perhaps I missed that step in that discussion
somewhere ...

But yes, it might also be, that the server is swapping, that's
another thing to find out.

cug