Re: [HACKERS] Last call?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Frank Ridderbusch <ridderbusch(dot)pad(at)sni(dot)de>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Last call?
Date: 1998-10-30 00:34:42
Lists: pgsql-hackers
Frank Ridderbusch <ridderbusch(dot)pad(at)sni(dot)de> writes:
>> Likewise, this should be fixable by improving configure's test
>> to see whether the system has strcasecmp.

> Well, this problem is originally caused by the need to link against
> /usr/ucblib/libucb.a. Without libucb.a, I'm getting three undefined
> symbols
>  strncasecmp                         commands/SUBSYS.o
>  alloca                              bootstrap/SUBSYS.o
>  strcasecmp                          commands/SUBSYS.o
> alloca is ok (GCC users have it build in). But strncasecmp and
> strcasecmp are defined in the same archive member in
> libucb.a. Therefore I get multiple defines if I link with strcasecmp.o
> from pgsql.

OK, the reason that configure is deciding strcasecmp.o is needed is that
it has no idea you are planning to link with /usr/ucblib/libucb.a.

Rather than editing the generated makefiles after the fact, you might
have better luck if you edit the template file you plan to use *before*
running configure.  I think adding "-L/usr/ucblib -lucb" to the LIBS
line in the template file would solve this particular problem.  I think
you had mentioned needing a few other unusual libraries as well --- you
should be able to take care of all of them that way.

> Come to think of it, shouldn't configure check also for strncasecmp if
> it checks for strcasecmp? But apparently, since no one complains, it
> appears, that all other platforms do have strncasecmp and shouldn't
> also need strcasecmp.

Basically configure is assuming that your system library provides
both or neither.  I think that's a reasonable assumption.  Of course,
if we find any actual instances of systems with just one, we may have
to change it...