Re: BUG #1268: Two different Unicode chars are treated as

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Kent Tong <kent(at)cpttm(dot)org(dot)mo>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #1268: Two different Unicode chars are treated as
Date: 2004-09-24 04:33:01
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Kent Tong <kent(at)cpttm(dot)org(dot)mo> writes:
> Does it matter? The encoding provided to initdb is just
> a default for the databases to be created in the future.

Yes it does, and you missed the point.  I said *locale*, not *encoding*.
The LC_COLLATE and LC_CTYPE settings that prevail during initdb are
fixed and not alterable without re-initdb.  (I agree that this sucks,
but that's how it is for now...)

Your test program doesn't prove a lot unless you are sure it's executing
under the same locale settings as the postmaster is running in.