Re: Runtime Problems

From: "Andrew Dunstan" <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Runtime Problems
Date: 2004-05-13 03:19:20
Lists: pgsql-hackers-win32

Richard Luckhurst said:
> Hello All
>
> I am quite new to pgsql and the Win32 port. I have just tried Vishal's
> new guide to building
> and I am having what looks like a path problem when I try to initialise
> a database. I am using
> Windows 2000. Everything builds and installs OK and I have copied the
> files in the msys\1.0\local\pgsql
> to my c:\pgsql folder as per the instructions. I have added
> C:\pgsql\bin and c:\pgsql\lib to my path
> as instructed. When I try to run initdb I get the following error
>
> initdb -D c:\pgsql\data -W --lc-collate=C
> Bad command or file name
> fgets failure: No error
> Bad command or file name
> fgets failure: No error
> The program "postgres" is needed by initdb but was not found in
> the directory "C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/bin". Check your installation
>
> I would appreciate any clues here as this has me stumped. I don't
> understand why is should even be looking in the msys directory.

I haven't had time to read the document referred to, but if it currently
recommends that you run from anywhere but the installed path then I
disagree with it. When we get relocatable installs, which Bruce is working
on, you will be able to move the whole installation around to your heart's
content.

Have you checked that there is still in fact a
C:/msys/1.0/local/pgsql/bin/postgres.exe? Could it be a permissions
problem?

cheers

andrew