Re: [INTERFACES] problem with numeric

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Ken J(dot) Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com>
Cc: Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu>, pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [INTERFACES] problem with numeric
Date: 2000-02-02 04:15:17
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
"Ken J. Wright" <ken(at)ori-ind(dot)com> writes:
> While testing the new ODBC driver I ran into the following problem with
> queries on numeric fields. Unless the values are surrounded by single quote
> marks, the query fails with the message: Unable to identify an operator '='
> for types 'numeric' and 'float'. This occurs in the WHERE clause of the
> query.
>
> SELECT * from tbl WHERE numfld = 99.125;
> UPDATE tbl SET numfld = 99.13 WHERE numfld = 99.125;

This is indubitably a backend bug.  It's still there in current sources,
too.  Possibly related to an item I have on my personal TODO list:

: Why is NUMERIC not considered numeric by TypeCategory()?  Why is DATE not
: considered a datetime type?  Isn't this routine fundamentally broken?
: If we need a category it should be taken from a pg_type field, not
: hardwired in code...

Thomas, what say you?