Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Tablespaces

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Dann Corbit" <dcorbit(at)connx(dot)com>, "Zeugswetter Andreas SB SD" <zeugswettera(at)spardat(dot)at>, jearl(at)bullysports(dot)com, tswan(at)idigx(dot)com, "Bruce Momjian" <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, "Greg Stark" <gsstark(at)mit(dot)edu>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "PostgreSQL Win32 port list" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] Tablespaces
Date: 2004-06-11 16:39:18
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

> "Dann Corbit" <DCorbit(at)connx(dot)com> writes:
>> I expect that one year after release, there will be ten times as many
>> PostgreSQL systems on Win32 as all combined versions now on UNIX flavors
>
> I surely hope not. Especially not multi-gig databases. The folks
> running those should know better than to use Windows, and if they
> do not, I'll be happy to tell them so.

This is a prejudice that we should try to avoid. Yes, Windows is lacking
on so many levels, but that really isn't the point.

A good box running Win2K or XP Server, with no internet connectivity, and
no user applications, can really perform and be reliable. Would I choose
this? Hell no, but there are HUGE amount of people who either don't know
any better or have no real choice.

The REAL bonus here is getting PostgreSQL in their hands. Right now, for
the small to medium business running Windows, Microsoft has a virtual lock
with SQL Server. SQL Server is expensive and a real PAIN.

Giving Windows users PostgreSQL with a good set of .NET, ODBC, and JDBC
drivers loosens the Microsoft stranglehold, just a little bit. If they
develop their application with MSSQL, there is a good chance it will never
use any open source software and always run on Windows. If they develop
their application using PostgreSQL, there is a better likelyhood that
other open source projects will be used, AND that should the requirement
be to upgrade the system, a wider range of OS and hardware options will
present themselves.