Re: System Tables

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Neil Conway <neilc(at)samurai(dot)com>
Cc: Steve Jackson <asdasdfwea(at)asweweasdv(dot)net>,pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: System Tables
Date: 2002-11-28 22:59:04
Lists: pgsql-hackers
>> Has anyone of you a good pointer to a description of where in the system
>> tables I may find what informations?

> The PostgreSQL Developer's Guide has some information:
>     http://developer.postgresql.org/docs/postgres/catalogs.html

> But IIRC it might be a little out of date.

One would hope not.  It's taken us awhile to finish the work of
documenting every system catalog, but as of 7.3 they are all in there.
I intend to crack the whip as much as necessary to ensure that these
docs get updated whenever someone changes the catalogs ;-)

Actually, pointing people to the developer docs is more likely to create
the reverse problem: what they read there may be too new for the release
they are actually using.