Re: Online Backup and WAL archives

From: Morus Walter <morus(dot)walter(at)tanto(dot)de>
To: Pallav Kalva <pkalva(at)deg(dot)cc>
Subject: Re: Online Backup and WAL archives
Date: 2005-02-02 15:07:29
Lists: pgsql-admin
Pallav Kalva writes:

>     If I want to restore to a particular point in time lets say to the
> point in time like a day back when one of my table was dropped
> accidentally and if i want restore the archive log only to that
> particular archive log file . what is the procedure we should follow ?
> just keep the archive logs in the directory until the last archive log
> file i need or is there a command something like  " restore only until
> at this archive log file " ?   Also what happens to the transaction log
> files in pg_xlog directory in this scenario ? do i have to still keep
> them or they get created by themself since i am going a day back ?
>
>   Is this possible in postgres 8

Yes. That's what PITR is about. Read the manual for details.
If you look at the recovery.conf.sample you'll find a variable
recovery_target_time that must be set. Unless I missed something this
isn't explicitly stated in the docs but the comment in the sample conf
is pretty clear.
Alternatively you can define a transaction id (recovery_target_xid).

Of course you must have a backup created before the incident and all WALs
up to the time of the incident.

Morus