Re: BUG #5288: Restoring a 7.4.5 -Fc dump using -j 2 segfaults (patch included)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jon Erdman <postgresql(at)thewickedtribe(dot)net>
Cc: Chris Travers <chris(at)metatrontech(dot)com>, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5288: Restoring a 7.4.5 -Fc dump using -j 2 segfaults (patch included)
Date: 2010-01-19 18:49:08
Lists: pgsql-bugs
Jon Erdman <postgresql(at)thewickedtribe(dot)net> writes:
> That would seem to indicate that in the case of partial archives these
> missing deps wouldn't cause any worse failure than they otherwise would,
> since they'd be just as missing if you did a normal restore vs. a
> parallel one.

The dependency info isn't used at all unless you do a parallel restore.
We put that information into the dump file format specification years
ago with the idea that it would someday be used for purposes like this,
but 8.4's -j is the first attempt to actually use it.  (The lack of
actual use is not unrelated to the fact that pre-8.0's representation
was unusable ...)