Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL postmaster abort problem

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-ports(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Cygwin PostgreSQL postmaster abort problem
Date: 2000-12-31 22:53:09
Lists: pgsql-ports

Jason Tishler <Jason(dot)Tishler(at)dothill(dot)com> writes:
>> These changes look fine as far as they go, but if you think
>> TransactionCommandContext needs to be DLLIMPORT, why not the other
>> global context variables, too?

> I took the minimalist approach -- meaning that I only made the minimum
> number of changes necessary to get PostgreSQL to compile cleanly under
> Cygwin. You are correct, the other global context variables should
> also be marked DLLIMPORT. There are probably other global variables
> that should be marked too.

> The completeness approach would DLLIMPORT "everything" (similar to
> the way that Python uses DL_EXPORT), but that would be a lot of source
> code changes...

Seems like that's heading in the wrong direction. Isn't there a
compiler switch or something we could give to make ALL global vars be
automatically marked DLLIMPORT? That's generally how it works on Unix
platforms (for example, on HPUX the -E linker switch makes these symbols
available to dynamically linked shlibs). I don't really like the idea
of cluttering the source code for the benefit of one platform...