Re: encrypt/decrypt problem

From: "Ivan" <perseus(at)444(dot)net>
To: <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: encrypt/decrypt problem
Date: 2003-04-28 21:10:47
Lists: pgsql-general

> Ivan wrote:
>> hi
>>
>> i need to encrypt some fields in a table of my postgre db, my table is
>> named clients and the fields are "id", "name" and "password", i was
>> looking and i find the pgcrypto utility, i read something about the
>> pgcrypto functions and i see the "crypto" function and use it, well
>> the fields change and i supose that was encrypted... but how i could
>> obtain the decrypt info??? (i don't know it), well next i read about
>> the "encrypt-decrypt" function, maybe it is what i need i try to use
>> the encrypt function from the EMS PostgreSQL Manager (SQL editor) in
>> that form
>>
>> UPDATE tabla2 SET pass = encrypt(pass, 'iv', 'bf');
>>
>> next i try:
>>
>> encrypt(pass,'fooz','bf')
>>
>> but either work... i don't find much examples about it, pls does
>> anyone have an idea of how i can implement the "encrypt-decrypt on my
>> table???
>
> You may be running into a "one-way-hash" encryption system - in which
> when you use the crypto function, the data is stored in encrypted
> format, with the idea that you take your input supplied, encrypt it, and
> compare it to the field (containing the previously encrypted data) - if
> it matches, then the "password" or whatever was entered correctly.
>
> It typically isn't possible to reverse this one-way hash back to
> plaintext easily.
>
> Andrew Ayers

thanks Andrew. well now i know that the crypt function is not what i need,
i need to encrypt all the fields of some tables not only the passwords, if
someone knows how to use the encrypt/decrypt function and could tell me
something, i will be grateful

ivan

Free Webmail courtesy of http://www.444.net/