Re: BUG #3511: timeofday()::timestamp failing on Saturday when using australian_timezones = on

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Adam" <adam(at)subdesigns(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3511: timeofday()::timestamp failing on Saturday when using australian_timezones = on
Date: 2007-08-04 15:28:28
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Adam" <adam(at)subdesigns(dot)net> writes:
> Conversion to a timestamp is failing to decode a timeofday() date string
> which has both 'Sat' and a timezone 'EST', when australian_timezones is
> enabled.

Yeah, there's not a lot we can do about that. Changing timeofday()'s
output format seems a bad idea, because the only reason that function
exists at all is for backwards compatibility. And the fact that SAT
means something else in australian_timezones mode is unfortunate, but
there's not much to be done about it either.

As of 8.2 you can use clock_timestamp() to get the number you want
without any textual conversions. I'd recommend that ...