Re: Re: Release in 2 weeks ...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org
Cc: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: Release in 2 weeks ...
Date: 2001-02-28 04:19:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-odbc

Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)alumni(dot)caltech(dot)edu> writes:
>> I'm interested to know what exactly takes two weeks with the docs and what
>> could be done to speed it up.

> The "official" version of the story is that it takes ~10-20 hours for me
> to work through the docs to format them for hardcopy with ApplixWare,
> primarily because something in the jade RTF tickles a bug in the page
> formatting with Applix.

I'm sure anything that could be done to eliminate this formatting
make-work would be just fine with Thomas ;-). However, it probably
wouldn't really change the release scheduling much, since as he points
out it's partially an excuse for clamping down:

> The reality is that it is a two week quiet time for us to get the last
> bugs out and to get the last platform-specific reports.

In short, now is our "okay people, let's get *serious*" phase.
No features, no trivial stuff, just get the critical bugs out.

> Scrappy has proposed that we start that period now. Were the concerns
> about WAL etc enough to hold off on that, or are we counting down from
> now?

I'm pretty concerned about WAL, but have no good reason not to start
the release countdown.