Re: Feature Request: ALTER FUNCTION (or something like that)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Feature Request: ALTER FUNCTION (or something like that)
Date: 2001-03-28 05:32:54
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Joel Burton <jburton(at)scw(dot)org> writes:
> If I have your ear on the subject, tgl, is there any ugly-but-working hack
> to update the function by modifying the system tables directly?

For interpreted function languages,

UPDATE pg_proc SET prosrc = 'new body' WHERE proname = '...'

will work as long as the function name is unique. (If not, you'd need
to also mention argument types in the WHERE.)

Again, this won't do anything to update cached copies, so backend
restarts might be needed to get the change to take effect.