Re: Upgrade 7.0.3 -> 7.1.3 problems!

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Link <dlink(at)soundscan(dot)com>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Upgrade 7.0.3 -> 7.1.3 problems!
Date: 2002-01-29 20:27:28
Lists: pgsql-general

David Link <dlink(at)soundscan(dot)com> writes:
> psql: error while loading shared libraries: psql: undefined symbol:
> PQgetssl
>>
>> This looks like psql was compiled with SSL support and libpq wasn't.
>> Are you sure you installed a complete set of compatible RPMs? I'd
>> say one or the other file wasn't updated.

> What's a complete set? What I thought all I needed was:
> postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG.i686.rpm
> postgresql-perl-7.1.3-1PGDG.i686.rpm
> postgresql-server-7.1.3-1PGDG.i686.rpm

> Do I need more?

Darn if I know, but the 'rpm' command could tell you what these rpms
provide. Also try "rpm -qa | grep postgres" to see if you have any
prior-version rpms you forgot to replace.

If postgresql-7.1.3-1PGDG.i686.rpm does indeed provide both libpq.so
and the psql executable, then the next likely problem is that you
have multiple versions of libpq.so on your system and psql is picking
up the wrong one. Fooling about with the search path via ldconfig
should fix that, once you figure out what is where.