Re: bitmap AM design

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "Tom Lane" <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: "Victor Y(dot) Yegorov" <viy(at)mits(dot)lv>,"Pg Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: bitmap AM design
Date: 2005-03-01 13:41:26
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I don't think we really need any more fundamentally nonconcurrent index
> types :-(

Tom, I posted a message about a week ago (I forget the name) about a
persistent reference index, sort of like CTID, but basically a table
lookup. The idea is to simulate a structure that ISAM sort of techniques
can work in PostgreSQL.

Victor had emailed me and basically said he needed a similar sort of thing
for this bitmap index.

Eliminating the bitmap index issue for a moment, how hard would it be to
create a reference table like index? I'm sure given that construct, the
bitmap index becomes easier to construct.