Re: INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING for 8.2

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Jonah H(dot) Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: INS/UPD/DEL RETURNING for 8.2
Date: 2006-03-03 01:33:42
Lists: pgsql-patches
"Jonah H. Harris" <jonah(dot)harris(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE seem to work fine in normal operation but there is an
> error with DELETE RETURNING when used through PL/pgSQL.

Probably other places too.  I don't see any provision here for ensuring
that the variables used in the RETURNING list are actually computed by
the plan.  This would be masked in the INSERT and non-join UPDATE cases
by the fact that the plan has to compute all columns of the target table
anyway ... but in a DELETE it'd be an issue.

I think set-returning functions in the RETURNING list might give you
some fits too ...