Re: AW: Backend-internal SPI operations

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at>
Cc: "'Jan Wieck'" <janwieck(at)Yahoo(dot)com>, Mark Hollomon <mhh(at)nortelnetworks(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: AW: Backend-internal SPI operations
Date: 2000-08-31 14:19:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Zeugswetter Andreas SB <ZeugswetterA(at)wien(dot)spardat(dot)at> writes:
> I don't see why a real view should still be createable by the old
> create table then create rule way.

Because we'll need to be able to read dump files created by existing
versions of pg_dump. If we don't cope with CREATE TABLE + CREATE RULE
then restored-from-dump views won't really be views and will act
differently from freshly created views. Avoiding the resulting
support headaches is worth a little bit of ugliness in the code.