Re: pgsql: Create hooks to let a loadable plugin monitor (or even replace)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Cc: Gurjeet Singh <singh(dot)gurjeet(at)gmail(dot)com>, pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pgsql: Create hooks to let a loadable plugin monitor (or even replace)
Date: 2007-05-29 19:42:35
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> Gurjeet Singh wrote:
>> But I did not understand the haste to commit the patch within almost half an
>> hour of proposing the second version of the patch!!!

> It happens some times when a patch applier has gotten as far as they can
> go with a patch and wants to move on, with the willingness to return to
> the patch if there is any additional feedback.

Er, it was quite a bit more than half an hour; about 17 hours in fact:
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-patches/2007-05/msg00421.php
http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-committers/2007-05/msg00315.php
In any case this patch was just a working-out of ideas I'd proposed more
than a month previously, so I didn't expect it to be controversial.

But as Bruce says, nothing is set in stone at this point. If you have
suggestions for improvements, we can tweak the hooks pretty much any
time up till 8.3 final.