Re: libedit broke in head

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Stefan Kaltenbrunner <stefan(at)kaltenbrunner(dot)cc>, "Joshua D(dot) Drake" <jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libedit broke in head
Date: 2006-09-30 20:36:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I think the switches are confusing ... when you are using libedit, you
> certainly don't want readline as well, so it seems natural to disable
> it.  I understand that what --without-readline really does is turn the
> line-editing capability off in general rather than just readline, which
> is confusing.

The documentation could be improved perhaps:

$ ./configure --help | grep -i edit
  --with-libedit-preferred  prefer BSD Libedit over GNU Readline
  --without-readline      do not use GNU Readline / BSD Libedit line editing
$

ISTM the second line would be clearer if it read

  --without-readline      do not use GNU Readline nor BSD Libedit for editing

Also, we probably ought to see if we can make the libedit-preferred line
come out second.