Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] select like...not using index

From: pgsql(at)mohawksoft(dot)com
To: "Merlin Moncure" <merlin(dot)moncure(at)rcsonline(dot)com>
Cc: "PgSql-Win32" <pgsql-hackers-win32(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, "Magnus Hagander" <mha(at)sollentuna(dot)net>
Subject: Re: [pgsql-hackers-win32] select like...not using index
Date: 2004-06-02 00:34:44
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-hackers-win32

>> It looks to me like you have an index of type "bpchar" but are
> searching
>> with type "text." I find type conversions very limited with "LIKE."
>>
>> I would create an index on 'vin_no' using a cast to TEXT. This should
> work
>> on both queries.
>
> Not in this case. Just to be sure, I created a new column as text type,
> created index, analyzed, and searched and got the same behavior.

Hmmm, snipped from your reply was the explain plan from the query where it
was clear you were using two different character data types: bpchat and
text. That, alone, may have been a problem.

Looking at your defaults, did you do:

initdb --locale=C somepath
?

I found, at some point, 'C' used to be the default, now it seems initdb
wants to fish out what locale your system is using.

Personally, I think, if I do not specify a locale, I don't want a specific
locale. Period. I haven't been paying too close attention to the hackers
list to say when this happened, but it bit me a couple times.