Re: BUG #4824: KRB5/GSSAPI authentication fails when user != principal

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Subject: Re: BUG #4824: KRB5/GSSAPI authentication fails when user != principal
Date: 2009-05-26 18:35:54
Lists: pgsql-bugs

"Peter Koczan" <pjkoczan(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4beta2

> When authenticating with Kerberos/GSSAPI, if the Kerberos principal is not
> the same as the shell user, authentication fails.
> It appears to assume that the shell user is the user to connect as. However,
> using an 8.3 client works as previously expected.

This is an intentional change. It is mentioned in the release notes,
though perhaps not too helpfully:

Make Kerberos connections use the same method to determine the
username of the client as all other authentication methods (Magnus)

Previously a special Kerberos-only API was used.

We should probably at least clarify this release note. Do you want
to make an argument that this is a fundamental breakage and we need
to revert it? If so, what's the argument?