Re: Bad dumps...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Bad dumps...
Date: 2004-07-13 15:40:12
Lists: pgsql-admin
Stef <svb(at)ucs(dot)co(dot)za> writes:
> Here's what I did to recreate the problem :
> Welcome to psql 7.3.4, the PostgreSQL interactive terminal.

Ah.  I was checking it in 7.4.  I thought we'd fixed this issue further
back than 7.4, but some digging in the CVS logs shows not:

	* doc/src/sgml/ref/copy.sgml, src/backend/commands/copy.c: Modify
	COPY FROM to match the null-value string against the column value
	before it is de-backslashed, not after.  This allows the null
	string \N to be reliably distinguished from the data value \N
	(which must be represented as \\N).  Per bug report from Manfred
	Koizar ... but it's amazing this hasn't been reported before ...
	Also, be consistent about encoding conversion for null string: the
	form specified in the command is in the server encoding, but what
	is sent to/from client must be in client encoding.  This never
	worked quite right before either.