Re: strange nbtree corruption report

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: strange nbtree corruption report
Date: 2011-11-29 01:40:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> I wonder if it would be worthwhile to build some sort of tool to scan
> the heap and ensure that there are index entries for all heap items,
> just to test the hypothesis.  Not that this would enlighten on the
> source of the actual problem.

Seems like the hypothesis could be proven or disproven just by counting
the heap and index entries while the DB is otherwise idle.  It used to
be that VACUUM VERBOSE was sufficient for that sort of cross-check ...
but I'm not totally sure what push-ups are required nowadays to prevent
it from deciding that it's smarter than you are so it needn't scan the
whole table.  Is VACUUM FREEZE VERBOSE still trustworthy for this?