Re: BUG #3980: Can not Install PostgreSQL - error at the end of installation

From: Aaron Tuwhangai <aaron(at)kiaz(dot)co(dot)nz>
To: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #3980: Can not Install PostgreSQL - error at the end of installation
Date: 2008-03-29 03:23:35
Lists: pgsql-bugs
I have had a problem installing PostgreSQL with the same symptoms.  I think
whats happening is this: I try to install and get an error (something to do
with Java I think).  The installer rolls back, but leaves a tmp directory
behind.  Next time I try to install I get the error message about creating a
temporary directory that Miro mentions.  After I deleted the directories
left behind, the installer works (after playing around with my Java settings
to fix the first problem).

I think it started working for Miro because by changing the install path,
the tmp directory previously left behind was no longer interfering.

Maybe the installer could be fixed to remove the tmp directory during
install rollback?  My errors always occurred during the database
initialisation phase.