Re: Elide null updates

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Elide null updates
Date: 2008-12-16 22:01:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

James Mansion <james(at)mansionfamily(dot)plus(dot)com> writes:
> I saw on a summary for 8.4 that there's a generic function for use as a
> before row trigger that will elide null updates (ie replacement with an
> identical row).

> I can see that this is great - but I was wondering if it should be more
> integrated and turned on in the db schema.

How about we wait a few releases and see if anyone uses the trigger,
rather than wasting time now on an argument about integrating an
as-yet-unproven feature?

(You *are* wasting our time, btw, because we already had this
discussion. Until there's some field experience there is no new
evidence available to change the conclusion.)