Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>
Subject: Re: pg_migrator and an 8.3-compatible tsvector data type
Date: 2009-05-28 22:16:56
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Bruce,
>> The ordering of the lexems was changed:

> What does that get us in terms of performance etc.?

It was changed to support partial-match tsvector queries. Without it,
a partial match query would have to scan entire tsvectors instead
of applying binary search. I don't know if Oleg and Teodor did any
actual performance tests on the size of the hit, but it seems like
it could be pretty awful for large documents.