Re: BUG #5274: [PL/PgSQL] EXECUTE ... USING variable expansion

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Vincenzo Romano <vincenzo(dot)romano(at)notorand(dot)it>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5274: [PL/PgSQL] EXECUTE ... USING variable expansion
Date: 2010-01-14 14:59:42
Lists: pgsql-bugs
> Pavel,
> if it was a simple plain dynami statement, I could create it by string
> concatenation, literal_ and ident_ quoting and so on.

the situation isn't too simply like you see it. PostgreSQL supports
composite and nested types. For this types you cannot use quote*
functions. Next problem is NULL values. I did this work four years ago
it was rejected - from good reasons. You can see more messages from
this time in archive. In plpgsql we don't would to supply SQL parser -
so when you would to identify pleaseholders, then your implementation
will be slow or buggy.

Pavel Stehule