Re: proposal: using PQexecParams in psql (using variables as real params)

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>
Cc: PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: proposal: using PQexecParams in psql (using variables as real params)
Date: 2009-11-16 08:14:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

2009/11/16 Itagaki Takahiro <itagaki(dot)takahiro(at)oss(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>:

> Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:
>
>> I propose to add possibility to use psql variables as real query
>> parameters. The goal of this proposal is simplification of creating
>> psql based commands.
>
>> postgres=# \pexec
>> Separately passing parameters is on.
>> postgres=# select upper(:message);
>
> There might be good if we can use both old and new behaviors at once
> instead of \pexec switch. Something like:
>
>    SELECT * FROM :tablename WHERE id = $value
>
> BTW, this proposal is a partial solution for scripting in psql.
> But we will want other goodies soon - assignment, if, loop...
> If there is a total solution, it would be better than a partial one.
> I've heard pgAdmin uses pgScript as a client-side language.
> Should we also take the language (or client-side plpgsql) in psql?

I don't would to reimplement pgScript. Personally I prefer some
scripting possibilities in psql too, but when pgScript exists, then we
could to use it. What more - we have a DO statement. So there are
tools. DO is great, now I missing some like USING clause:

DO (tablename varchar, value varchar)
$$
EXECUTE 'SELECT * FROM '|| tablename || 'WHERE id = $1' USING value;
$$ USING :tablename, :value;

I don't would to create new syntax for identifiers - see parallel
thread. Proposed feature is maximally simple and transparent.