Re: Anonymous Code Blocks as Lambdas?

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: "David E(dot) Wheeler" <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Anonymous Code Blocks as Lambdas?
Date: 2009-10-26 22:53:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers
2009/10/26 David E. Wheeler <david(at)kineticode(dot)com>:
> On Oct 26, 2009, at 2:12 PM, Pavel Stehule wrote:
>
>> it should be light relation. 'DO' should be parametrised, and psql can
>> use own variables as 'DO' parameters.
>
> I see, because `DO` is a statement, not an expression. Thus arguments don't
> really make much sense (I wish it was an expression!).

uff. How you would to write scripts? How you would to join client side
and server side? What I know, statements in PostgreSQL are
parametrised - INSERT, SELECT and others.

> I don't think it's a good idea to tie SQL syntax to a feature of a client,
> though.

DO should have any syntax. Other than I wrote. It isn't important in
this moment. Do without parametrsation has not full power. It is like
EXECUTE without USING clause. Sure. You can live without it, but the
live with it is much more confortable. So now we have isolated PL
fragment without any outer inputs.

Regards

Pavel