Re: integration of fulltext search in bytea/docs

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Radek Novotný <radek(dot)novotny(at)mediawork(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: integration of fulltext search in bytea/docs
Date: 2009-07-29 15:38:31
Lists: pgsql-general

Hello

Dne 29. červenec 2009 16:46 Radek Novotný <radek(dot)novotny(at)mediawork(dot)cz>
napsal(a):
> Hello,
> is there in the roadmap of postgre integration of fulltext searching in
> documents saved in blobs (bytea)?

What I know, no. PostgreSQL doesn't know about others binary formats,
so it cannot do it.

> For example linux antiword can export fine text output that can be inserted
> into varchar field.

I understand it well. Three years ago, we used antiword. We stored two
values - bytea - original word doc, and text - antiword output. The
overhead is minimal, and this solution worked very well.

> Would be very very nice (postgre users can be proud to be first) to save
> documents into bytea and search that field via to_tsvector, to_tsquery ...

It's should be very slow. You have to do repeated transformation.

Pavel Stehule