Re: Patch for 8.5, transformationHook

From: Pavel Stehule <pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch for 8.5, transformationHook
Date: 2009-07-26 03:38:25
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hello

> On Mon, Apr 20, 2009 at 8:45 AM, Pavel Stehule<pavel(dot)stehule(at)gmail(dot)com> wrote:

>>> The queries done by pgbench are completely trivial and do not stress
>>> parser performance.  Even if they did (consider cases likw an IN with a
>>> few thousand list items), the parser is normally not a bottleneck
>>> compared to transaction overhead, network round trips, and pgbench
>>> itself.

>>> As I keep saying, a hook there is useless, at least by itself.  You
>>> have no control over the grammar and no ability to modify what the
>>> rest of the system understands.  The only application I can think of is
>>> to fool with the transformation of FuncCall nodes, which you could do in
>>> a much lower-overhead way by hooking into transformFuncCall.  Even that
>>> seems pretty darn marginal for real-world problems.
>>>

>> I am sending modified patch - it hooking parser via transformFuncCall
>
> I am reviewing this patch.  It seems to me upon rereading the thread
> that the objections Tom and Peter had to inserting a hook into
> transformExpr() mostly still apply to a hook in transformFuncCall():
> namely, that there's no proof that putting a hook here is actually
> useful.  I think we should apply the same criteria to this that we
> have to some other patches that have been rejected (like the
> extensible-rmgr patch Simon submitted for CommitFest 2008-11), namely,
> requiring that the extension mechanism be submitted together with at
> least two examples of how it can be used to interesting and useful
> things, bundled as one or more contrib modules.

I have in my plan add to contrib JSON support similar to Bauman design:

http://www.mysqludf.org/lib_mysqludf_json/index.php

It's will be sample of "smart" functions. Because this need more then
less work I am waiting on commit.

Other simple intrduction contrib module should be real Oracle decode
function - I sent source code some time ago. But this code needs some
modification. I should send this code if you need it.

Pavel