Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Karel Zak - Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] compression in LO and other fields
Date: 1999-11-11 21:08:10
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Karel Zak - Zakkr <zakkr(at)zf(dot)jcu(dot)cz> writes:
> I see the inv_api and other LO routines, and my idea is add support
> for bzip2 stream to the inv_api and allow in current LO routines used
> compression. It si good idea?

LO is a dead end. What we really want to do is eliminate tuple-size
restrictions and then have large ordinary fields (probably of type
bytea) in regular tuples. I'd suggest working on compression in that
context, say as a new data type called "bytez" or something like that.
bytez would act just like bytea except the on-disk representation would
be compressed. A compressed variant of type "text" would also be useful.
In the long run this will be much more useful and easier to work with
than adding another frammish to large objects.