Re: PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttnet(dot)net(dot)tr>
Cc: pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: PQfformat() and Composite Formatted Results
Date: 2005-12-30 23:52:15
Lists: pgsql-interfaces

Volkan YAZICI <yazicivo(at)ttnet(dot)net(dot)tr> writes:
> PQfformat() returns the format code indicating the format of the
> given column. But, AFAIC, it's not possible to gather composite
> formatted results using current query execution functions. They
> only permit to specify the return format of the whole result
> struct. (Like all of them will be binary or text.) Therefore, there
> doesn't remain any usage difference between PQbinaryTuples() and
> PQfformat().

> Please fix me if I'm wrong. Is this remained as a TODO for the
> protocol or I missed something totally?

It's not a protocol restriction, it's a libpq restriction made in the
name of keeping the API from getting too unwieldy. We could add more
entry points with different parameter lists to address this. I have
a feeling that refactoring the API of the query functions entirely
might be a better idea, though.