PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 11, 2021

From: PWN via PostgreSQL Announce <announce-noreply(at)postgresql(dot)org>
To: PostgreSQL Announce <pgsql-announce(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 11, 2021
Date: 2021-04-12 01:09:07
Lists: pgsql-announce

# PostgreSQL Weekly News - April 11, 2021

Feature freeze for PostgreSQL 14 has arrived. Any new feature that could be in
PostgreSQL 14 is in the git repository.

# PostgreSQL Product News

AGE 0.4.0, a PostgreSQL extension that provides graph database functionality,
released.
[https://github.com/apache/incubator-age/releases/tag/0.4.0](https://github.com/apache/incubator-age/releases/tag/0.4.0)

# PostgreSQL Jobs for April

[https://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2021-04/](https://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-jobs/2021-04/)

# PostgreSQL in the News

Planet PostgreSQL: [https://planet.postgresql.org/](https://planet.postgresql.org/)

PostgreSQL Weekly News is brought to you this week by David Fetter

Submit news and announcements by Sunday at 3:00pm PST8PDT to david(at)fetter(dot)org(dot)

# Applied Patches

Tom Lane pushed:

- Fix more confusion in SP-GiST. spg_box_quad_leaf_consistent unconditionally
returned the leaf datum as leafValue, even though in its usage for poly_ops
that value is of completely the wrong type. In versions before 12, that was
harmless because the core code did nothing with leafValue in non-index-only
scans ... but since commit 2a6368343, if we were doing a KNN-style scan,
spgNewHeapItem would unconditionally try to copy the value using the wrong
datatype parameters. Said copying is a waste of time and space if we're not
going to return the data, but it accidentally failed to fail until I fixed the
datatype confusion in ac9099fc1. Hence, change spgNewHeapItem to not copy the
datum unless we're actually going to return it later. This saves cycles and
dodges the question of whether lossy opclasses are returning the right type.
Also change spg_box_quad_leaf_consistent to not return data that might be of
the wrong type, as insurance against somebody introducing a similar bug into
the core code in future. It seems like a good idea to back-patch these two
changes into v12 and v13, although I'm afraid to change spgNewHeapItem's
mistaken idea of which datatype to use in those branches. Per buildfarm
results from ac9099fc1. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/3728741.1617381471@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/3728741.1617381471@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dfc843d465689d2c2af8b0e01c66c51ccaae2343](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dfc843d465689d2c2af8b0e01c66c51ccaae2343)

- Support INCLUDE'd columns in SP-GiST. Not much to say here: does what it says
on the tin. We steal a previously-always-zero bit from the nextOffset field of
leaf index tuples in order to track whether there is a nulls bitmap.
Otherwise it works about like included columns in other index types. Pavel
Borisov, reviewed by Andrey Borodin and Anastasia Lubennikova, and rather
heavily editorialized on by me Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALT9ZEFi-vMp4faht9f9Junb1nO3NOSjhpxTmbm1UGLMsLqiEQ@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALT9ZEFi-vMp4faht9f9Junb1nO3NOSjhpxTmbm1UGLMsLqiEQ@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/09c1c6ab4bc5764dd69c53ccfd43b2060b1fd090](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/09c1c6ab4bc5764dd69c53ccfd43b2060b1fd090)

- Clean up treatment of missing default and CHECK-constraint records. Andrew
Gierth reported that it's possible to crash the backend if no pg_attrdef
record is found to match an attribute that has atthasdef set. AttrDefaultFetch
warns about this situation, but then leaves behind a relation tupdesc that has
null "adbin" pointer(s), which most places don't guard against. We considered
promoting the warning to an error, but throwing errors during relcache load is
pretty drastic: it effectively locks one out of using the relation at all.
What seems better is to leave the load-time behavior as a warning, but then
throw an error in any code path that wants to use a default and can't find it.
This confines the error to a subset of INSERT/UPDATE operations on the table,
and in particular will at least allow a pg_dump to succeed. Also, we should
fix AttrDefaultFetch to not leave any null pointers in the tupdesc, because
that just creates an untested bug hazard. While at it, apply the same
philosophy of "warn at load, throw error only upon use of the known-missing
info" to CHECK constraints. CheckConstraintFetch is very nearly the same logic
as AttrDefaultFetch, but for reasons lost in the mists of time, it was
throwing ERROR for the same cases that AttrDefaultFetch treats as WARNING.
Make the two functions more nearly alike. In passing, get rid of
potentially-O(N^2) loops in equalTupleDesc by making AttrDefaultFetch sort the
entries after fetching them, so that equalTupleDesc can assume that entries in
two equal tupdescs must be in matching order. (CheckConstraintFetch already
was sorting CHECK constraints, but equalTupleDesc hadn't been told about it.)
There's some argument for back-patching this, but with such a small number of
field reports, I'm content to fix it in HEAD. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/87pmzaq4gx.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk](https://postgr.es/m/87pmzaq4gx.fsf@news-spur.riddles.org.uk)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/091e22b2e673e3e8480abd68fbb827c5d6979615](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/091e22b2e673e3e8480abd68fbb827c5d6979615)

- Fix missing #include in nodeResultCache.h. Per cpluspluscheck.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/789d81de8a50d9a23cc1a3b8ea5d839246020689](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/789d81de8a50d9a23cc1a3b8ea5d839246020689)

- Postpone some stuff out of ExecInitModifyTable. Arrange to do some things
on-demand, rather than immediately during executor startup, because there's a
fair chance of never having to do them at all: * Don't open result relations'
indexes until needed. * Don't initialize partition tuple routing, nor the
child-to-root tuple conversion map, until needed. This wins in UPDATEs on
partitioned tables when only some of the partitions will actually receive
updates; with larger partition counts the savings is quite noticeable. Also,
we can remove some sketchy heuristics in ExecInitModifyTable about whether to
set up tuple routing. Also, remove execPartition.c's private hash table
tracking which partitions were already opened by the ModifyTable node.
Instead use the hash added to ModifyTable itself by commit 86dc90056. To
allow lazy computation of the conversion maps, we now set ri_RootResultRelInfo
in all child ResultRelInfos. We formerly set it only in some, not terribly
well-defined, cases. This has user-visible side effects in that now more
error messages refer to the root relation instead of some partition (and
provide error data in the root's column order, too). It looks to me like this
is a strict improvement in consistency, so I don't have a problem with the
output changes visible in this commit. Extracted from a larger patch, which
seemed to me to be too messy to push in one commit. Amit Langote, reviewed at
different times by Heikki Linnakangas and myself Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqG7ZruBmmih3wPsBZ4s0H2EhywrnXEduckY5Hr3fWzPWA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqG7ZruBmmih3wPsBZ4s0H2EhywrnXEduckY5Hr3fWzPWA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c5b7ba4e67aeb5d6f824b74f94114d99ed6e42b7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c5b7ba4e67aeb5d6f824b74f94114d99ed6e42b7)

- Postpone some more stuff out of ExecInitModifyTable. Delay creation of the
projections for INSERT and UPDATE tuples until they're needed. This saves a
pretty fair amount of work when only some of the partitions are actually
touched. The logic associated with identifying junk columns in UPDATE/DELETE
is moved to another loop, allowing removal of one loop over the target
relations; but it didn't actually change at all. Extracted from a larger
patch, which seemed to me to be too messy to push in one commit. Amit
Langote, reviewed at different times by Heikki Linnakangas and myself
[https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqG7ZruBmmih3wPsBZ4s0H2EhywrnXEduckY5Hr3fWzPWA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqG7ZruBmmih3wPsBZ4s0H2EhywrnXEduckY5Hr3fWzPWA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a1115fa0782378a8238045d238ae70cac36be8ae](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a1115fa0782378a8238045d238ae70cac36be8ae)

- Tighten up allowed names for custom GUC parameters. Formerly we were pretty
lax about what a custom GUC's name could be; so long as it had at least one
dot in it, we'd take it. However, corner cases such as dashes or equal signs
in the name would cause various bits of functionality to misbehave. Rather
than trying to make the world perfectly safe for that, let's just require that
custom names look like "identifier.identifier", where "identifier" means
something that scan.l would accept without double quotes. Along the way, this
patch refactors things slightly in guc.c so that find_option() is responsible
for reporting GUC-not-found cases, allowing removal of duplicative code from
its callers. Per report from Hubert Depesz Lubaczewski. No back-patch, since
the consequences of the problem don't seem to warrant changing behavior in
stable branches. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/951335.1612910077@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/951335.1612910077@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3db826bd55cd1df0dd8c3d811f8e5b936d7ba1e4](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3db826bd55cd1df0dd8c3d811f8e5b936d7ba1e4)

- Comment cleanup for a1115fa07. Amit Langote Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqEcawatEaUh1uTbZMEZTJeLzbroRTz9_X9Z5CFjTWJkhw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CA+HiwqEcawatEaUh1uTbZMEZTJeLzbroRTz9_X9Z5CFjTWJkhw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0d46771eaaf77ad08555cf34e421234d5943edfa](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0d46771eaaf77ad08555cf34e421234d5943edfa)

- Remove channel binding requirement from clientcert=verify-full test. This
fails on older OpenSSL versions that lack channel binding support. Since that
feature is not essential to this test case, just remove it, instead of
complicating matters. Per buildfarm. Jacob Champion Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/fa8dbbb58c20b1d1adf0082769f80d5466eaf485.camel@vmware.com](https://postgr.es/m/fa8dbbb58c20b1d1adf0082769f80d5466eaf485.camel@vmware.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a282ee68a070a8adc6e6d45e8e643769c587ecc3](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a282ee68a070a8adc6e6d45e8e643769c587ecc3)

- Allow psql's \df and \do commands to specify argument types. When dealing with
overloaded function or operator names, having to look through a long list of
matches is tedious. Let's extend these commands to allow specification of
(input) argument types to let such results be trimmed down. Each additional
argument is treated the same as the pattern argument of \dT and matched
against the appropriate argument's type name. While at it, fix \dT (and these
new options) to recognize the usual notation of "foo[]" for "the array type
over foo", and to handle the special abbreviations allowed by the backend
grammar, such as "int" for "integer". Greg Sabino Mullane, revised rather
significantly by me Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAKAnmmLF9Hhu02N+s7uAyLc5J1xZReg72HQUoiKhNiJV3_jACQ@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAKAnmmLF9Hhu02N+s7uAyLc5J1xZReg72HQUoiKhNiJV3_jACQ@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a3027e1e7f3d3a107ecd72d3b4d6333ea2aab6a5](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a3027e1e7f3d3a107ecd72d3b4d6333ea2aab6a5)

- Suppress uninitialized-variable warning. Several buildfarm critters that don't
usually produce such warnings are complaining about e717a9a18. I think it's
actually safe, but move initialization to silence the warning.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/01add89454d5dc289ed3126d5de03169bdeff41b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/01add89454d5dc289ed3126d5de03169bdeff41b)

- Add support for tab-completion of type arguments in \df, \do. Oversight in
commit a3027e1e7.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d1fcbde579d440c35023baa0de7ebf27f644a314](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d1fcbde579d440c35023baa0de7ebf27f644a314)

- Doc: update documentation of check_function_bodies. Adjust docs and
description string to note that check_function_bodies applies to procedures
too. (In hindsight it should have been named check_routine_bodies, but it
seems too late for that now.) Daniel Westermann Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/GV0P278MB04834A9EB9A74B036DC7CE49D2739@GV0P278MB0483.CHEP278.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM](https://postgr.es/m/GV0P278MB04834A9EB9A74B036DC7CE49D2739@GV0P278MB0483.CHEP278.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/07b76833b15163c6574ea2c12d05d9a0800665e2](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/07b76833b15163c6574ea2c12d05d9a0800665e2)

- Fix failure of xlogprefetch.h to include all prerequisite headers. Per
cpluspluscheck.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/99964c4ade468c35a3f6e248a2380a1ff67d9cd3](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/99964c4ade468c35a3f6e248a2380a1ff67d9cd3)

- Fix uninitialized variable from commit a4d75c86b. The path for `*exprs != NIL`
would misbehave, and likely crash, since pull_varattnos expects its last
argument to be valid at call. Found by Coverity --- we have no coverage of
this path in the regression tests.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9cb92334092fa75afc62a71243bbc1f4612ecfa4](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9cb92334092fa75afc62a71243bbc1f4612ecfa4)

- Add macro PGWARNING, and make PGERROR available on all platforms. We'd
previously noted the need for coping with Windows headers that provide some
other definition of macro "ERROR" than elog.h does. It turns out that R also
wants to define ERROR, and WARNING too. PL/R has been working around this in
a hacky way that broke when we recently changed the numeric value of ERROR. To
let them have a more future-proof solution, provide an alternate macro
PGWARNING for WARNING, and make PGERROR visible always, not only when #ifdef
WIN32. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CADK3HHK6iMChd1yoOqssxBn5Z14Zar8Ztr3G-N_fuG7F8YTP3w@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CADK3HHK6iMChd1yoOqssxBn5Z14Zar8Ztr3G-N_fuG7F8YTP3w@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d7cff12c4c035b7cf12bb8454824f48f13018730](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d7cff12c4c035b7cf12bb8454824f48f13018730)

Michaël Paquier pushed:

- Refactor all TAP test suites doing connection checks. This commit refactors
more TAP tests to adapt with the recent introduction of connect_ok() and
connect_fails() in PostgresNode, introduced by 0d1a3343. This changes the
following test suites to use the same code paths for connection checks: -
Kerberos - LDAP - SSL - Authentication Those routines are extended to be able
to handle optional parameters that are set depending on each suite's needs, as
of: - custom SQL query. - expected stderr matching pattern. - expected stdout
matching pattern. The new design is extensible with more parameters, and there
are some plans for those routines in the future with checks based on the
contents of the backend logs. Author: Jacob Champion, Michael Paquier
[https://postgr.es/m/d17b919e27474abfa55d97786cb9cfadfe2b59e9.camel@vmware.com](https://postgr.es/m/d17b919e27474abfa55d97786cb9cfadfe2b59e9.camel@vmware.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c50624cdd248c13b4ba199f95e24c88d2cc8a097](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c50624cdd248c13b4ba199f95e24c88d2cc8a097)

- Fix typo in collationcmds.c. Introduced by 51e225d. Author: Anton Voloshin
[https://postgr.es/m/05477da0-703c-7de7-998c-5879738e8f39@postgrespro.ru](https://postgr.es/m/05477da0-703c-7de7-998c-5879738e8f39@postgrespro.ru)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9f6f1f9b8e61f9ce47e1936fc68c21a4a8d6722c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9f6f1f9b8e61f9ce47e1936fc68c21a4a8d6722c)

- Change PostgresNode::connect_fails() to never send down queries. This type of
failure is similar to what has been fixed in c757a3da, where an authentication
failure combined with psql pushing a command down its communication pipe
causes a test failure. This routine is designed to fail, so sending a query
has little sense anyway. Per buildfarm members gaur and hoverfly, based on an
analysis and fix from Tom Lane. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/513200.1617634642@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/513200.1617634642@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6d41dd045ada28ee14182112fc4cf50fb3879d28](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6d41dd045ada28ee14182112fc4cf50fb3879d28)

- Fix some issues with SSL and Kerberos tests. The recent refactoring done in
c50624c accidentally broke a portion of the kerberos tests checking after a
query, so add its functionality back. Some inactive SSL tests had their
arguments in an incorrect order, which would cause them to fail if they were
to run. Author: Jacob Champion Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/4f5b0b3dc0b6fe9ae6a34886b4d4000f61eb567e.camel@vmware.com](https://postgr.es/m/4f5b0b3dc0b6fe9ae6a34886b4d4000f61eb567e.camel@vmware.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5a71964a832febfee23cedc3bb354049d6ca78a7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5a71964a832febfee23cedc3bb354049d6ca78a7)

- Add some information about authenticated identity via log_connections. The
"authenticated identity" is the string used by an authentication method to
identify a particular user. In many common cases, this is the same as the
PostgreSQL username, but for some third-party authentication methods, the
identifier in use may be shortened or otherwise translated (e.g. through
pg_ident user mappings) before the server stores it. To help administrators
see who has actually interacted with the system, this commit adds the
capability to store the original identity when authentication succeeds within
the backend's Port, and generates a log entry when log_connections is enabled.
The log entries generated look something like this (where a local user named
"foouser" is connecting to the database as the database user called "admin"):
LOG: connection received: host=[local] LOG: connection authenticated:
identity="foouser" method=peer (/data/pg_hba.conf:88) LOG: connection
authorized: user=admin database=postgres application_name=psql Port->authn_id
is set according to the authentication method: bsd: the PostgreSQL username
(aka the local username) cert: the client's Subject DN gss: the user
principal ident: the remote username ldap: the final bind DN pam: the
PostgreSQL username (aka PAM username) password (and all pw-challenge
methods): the PostgreSQL username peer: the peer's pw_name radius: the
PostgreSQL username (aka the RADIUS username) sspi: either the down-level
(SAM-compatible) logon name, if compat_realm=1, or the User Principal
Name if compat_realm=0 The trust auth method does not set an authenticated
identity. Neither does clientcert=verify-full. Port->authn_id could be used
for other purposes, like a superuser-only extra column in pg_stat_activity,
but this is left as future work. PostgresNode::connect_{ok,fails}() have been
modified to let tests check the backend log files for required or prohibited
patterns, using the new log_like and log_unlike parameters. This uses a
method based on a truncation of the existing server log file, like
issues_sql_like(). Tests are added to the ldap, kerberos, authentication and
SSL test suites. Author: Jacob Champion Reviewed-by: Stephen Frost, Magnus
Hagander, Tom Lane, Michael Paquier Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/c55788dd1773c521c862e8e0dddb367df51222be.camel@vmware.com](https://postgr.es/m/c55788dd1773c521c862e8e0dddb367df51222be.camel@vmware.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9afffcb833d3c5e59a328a2af674fac7e7334fc1](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9afffcb833d3c5e59a328a2af674fac7e7334fc1)

- Remove redundant memset(0) calls for page init of some index AMs. Bloom, GIN,
GiST and SP-GiST rely on PageInit() to initialize the contents of a page, and
this routine fills entirely a page with zeros for a size of BLCKSZ, including
the special space. Those index AMs have been using an extra memset() call to
fill with zeros the special page space, or even the whole page, which is not
necessary as PageInit() already does this work, so let's remove them. GiST
was not doing this extra call, but has commented out a system call that did so
since 6236991. While on it, remove one MAXALIGN() for SP-GiST as PageInit()
takes care of that. This makes the whole page initialization logic more
consistent across all index AMs. Author: Bharath Rupireddy Reviewed-by:
Vignesh C, Mahendra Singh Thalor Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACViOo2qyaPT7krWm4LRyRTw9kOXt+g6PfNmYuGA=YHj9A@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACViOo2qyaPT7krWm4LRyRTw9kOXt+g6PfNmYuGA=YHj9A@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4c0239cb7a7775e3183cb575e62703d71bf3302d](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4c0239cb7a7775e3183cb575e62703d71bf3302d)

- Fix some failures with connection tests on Windows hosts. The truncation of
the log file, that this set of tests relies on to make sure that a connection
attempt matches with its expected backend log pattern, fails, as reported by
buildfarm member fairywren. Instead of a truncation, do a rotation of the log
file and restart the node. This will ensure that the connection attempt data
is unique for each test. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/YG05nCI8x8B+Ad3G@paquier.xyz](https://postgr.es/m/YG05nCI8x8B+Ad3G@paquier.xyz)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c7578fa64019f27edc31261ea49066a4b2569a6c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c7578fa64019f27edc31261ea49066a4b2569a6c)

- Fix typos and grammar in documentation and code comments. Comment fixes are
applied on HEAD, and documentation improvements are applied on back-branches
where needed. Author: Justin Pryzby Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210408164008.GJ6592@telsasoft.com](https://postgr.es/m/20210408164008.GJ6592@telsasoft.com)
Backpatch-through: 9.6
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/609b0652af00374b89411ea2613fd5bb92bca92c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/609b0652af00374b89411ea2613fd5bb92bca92c)

Peter Eisentraut pushed:

- Renumber cursor option flags. Move the planner-control flags up so that there
is more room for parse options. Some pending patches need some room there, so
do this renumbering separately so that there is less potential for conflicts.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a63dd8afe2b859b853d857cd8a0392ca1e04ab6c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a63dd8afe2b859b853d857cd8a0392ca1e04ab6c)

- Change return type of EXTRACT to numeric. The previous implementation of
EXTRACT mapped internally to date_part(), which returned type double precision
(since it was implemented long before the numeric type existed). This can
lead to imprecise output in some cases, so returning numeric would be
preferrable. Changing the return type of an existing function is a bit risky,
so instead we do the following: We implement a new set of functions, which
are now called "extract", in parallel to the existing date_part functions.
They work the same way internally but use numeric instead of float8. The
EXTRACT construct is now mapped by the parser to these new extract functions.
That way, dumps of views etc. from old versions (which would use date_part)
continue to work unchanged, but new uses will map to the new extract
functions. Additionally, the reverse compilation of EXTRACT now reproduces
the original syntax, using the new mechanism introduced in
40c24bfef92530bd846e111c1742c2a54441c62c. The following minor changes of
behavior result from the new implementation: - The column name from an
isolated EXTRACT call is now "extract" instead of "date_part". - Extract
from date now rejects inappropriate field names such as HOUR. It was
previously mapped internally to extract from timestamp, so it would silently
accept everything appropriate for timestamp. - Return values when
extracting fields with possibly fractional values, such as second and epoch,
now have the full scale that the value has internally (so, for example,
'1.000000' instead of just '1'). Reported-by: Petr Fedorov
<petr(dot)fedorov(at)phystech(dot)edu> Reviewed-by: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/42b73d2d-da12-ba9f-570a-420e0cce19d9(at)phystech(dot)edu](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/42b73d2d-da12-ba9f-570a-420e0cce19d9(at)phystech(dot)edu)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a2da77cdb4661826482ebf2ddba1f953bc74afe4](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a2da77cdb4661826482ebf2ddba1f953bc74afe4)

- ALTER SUBSCRIPTION ... ADD/DROP PUBLICATION. At present, if we want to update
publications in a subscription, we can use SET PUBLICATION. However, it
requires supplying all publications that exists and the new publications. If
we want to add new publications, it's inconvenient. The new syntax only
supplies the new publications. When the refresh is true, it only refreshes
the new publications. Author: Japin Li <japinli(at)hotmail(dot)com> Author: Bharath
Rupireddy <bharath(dot)rupireddyforpostgres(at)gmail(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/MEYP282MB166939D0D6C480B7FBE7EFFBB6BC0(at)MEYP282MB1669(dot)AUSP282(dot)PROD(dot)OUTLOOK(dot)COM](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/MEYP282MB166939D0D6C480B7FBE7EFFBB6BC0(at)MEYP282MB1669(dot)AUSP282(dot)PROD(dot)OUTLOOK(dot)COM)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/82ed7748b710e3ddce3f7ebc74af80fe4869492f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/82ed7748b710e3ddce3f7ebc74af80fe4869492f)

- psql: Show all query results by default. Previously, psql printed only the
last result if a command string returned multiple result sets. Now it prints
all of them. The previous behavior can be obtained by setting the psql
variable SHOW_ALL_RESULTS to off. Author: Fabien COELHO <coelho(at)cri(dot)ensmp(dot)fr>
Reviewed-by: "Iwata, Aya" <iwata(dot)aya(at)jp(dot)fujitsu(dot)com> Reviewed-by: Daniel
Verite <daniel(at)manitou-mail(dot)org> Reviewed-by: Peter Eisentraut
<peter(dot)eisentraut(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> Reviewed-by: Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> Reviewed-by: vignesh C <vignesh21(at)gmail(dot)com>
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/alpine(dot)DEB(dot)2(dot)21(dot)1904132231510(dot)8961(at)lancre](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/alpine(dot)DEB(dot)2(dot)21(dot)1904132231510(dot)8961(at)lancre)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3a5130672296ed4e682403a77a9a3ad3d21cef75](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3a5130672296ed4e682403a77a9a3ad3d21cef75)

- Message improvement. The previous wording contained a superfluous comma.
Adjust phrasing for grammatical correctness and clarity.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0b5e8245283eef67e88fb5380836cdc2c743d848](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0b5e8245283eef67e88fb5380836cdc2c743d848)

- Fix use of cursor sensitivity terminology. Documentation and comments in code
and tests have been using the terms sensitive/insensitive cursor incorrectly
relative to the SQL standard. (Cursor sensitivity is only relevant for changes
made in the same transaction as the cursor, not for concurrent changes in
other sessions.) Moreover, some of the behavior of PostgreSQL is incorrect
according to the SQL standard, confusing the issue further. (WHERE CURRENT OF
changes are not visible in insensitive cursors, but they should be.) This
change corrects the terminology and removes the claim that sensitive cursors
are supported. It also adds a test case that checks the insensitive behavior
in a "correct" way, using a change command not using WHERE CURRENT OF.
Finally, it adds the ASENSITIVE cursor option to select the default asensitive
behavior, per SQL standard. There are no changes to cursor behavior in this
patch. Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/96ee8b30-9889-9e1b-b053-90e10c050e85%40enterprisedb.com](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/96ee8b30-9889-9e1b-b053-90e10c050e85%40enterprisedb.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dd13ad9d39a1ba41cf329b6fe408b49be57c7b88](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dd13ad9d39a1ba41cf329b6fe408b49be57c7b88)

- doc: Improve wording. Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/161626776179.652.11944895442156126506%40wrigleys.postgresql.org](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/161626776179.652.11944895442156126506%40wrigleys.postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4560e0acdafd57f3ba109b98e15ac047798d960c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4560e0acdafd57f3ba109b98e15ac047798d960c)

- libpq: Set Server Name Indication (SNI) for SSL connections. By default, have
libpq set the TLS extension "Server Name Indication" (SNI). This allows an
SNI-aware SSL proxy to route connections. (This requires a proxy that is
aware of the PostgreSQL protocol, not just any SSL proxy.) In the future,
this could also allow the server to use different SSL certificates for
different host specifications. (That would require new server functionality.
This would be the client-side functionality for that.) Since SNI makes the
host name appear in cleartext in the network traffic, this might be
undesirable in some cases. Therefore, also add a libpq connection option
"sslsni" to turn it off. Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/7289d5eb-62a5-a732-c3b9-438cee2cb709%40enterprisedb.com](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/7289d5eb-62a5-a732-c3b9-438cee2cb709%40enterprisedb.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5c55dc8b47338e72a4e598c155d2048d756fd10e](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5c55dc8b47338e72a4e598c155d2048d756fd10e)

- SQL-standard function body. This adds support for writing CREATE FUNCTION and
CREATE PROCEDURE statements for language SQL with a function body that
conforms to the SQL standard and is portable to other implementations.
Instead of the PostgreSQL-specific AS $$ string literal $$ syntax, this allows
writing out the SQL statements making up the body unquoted, either as a single
statement: CREATE FUNCTION add(a integer, b integer) RETURNS integer
LANGUAGE SQL RETURN a + b; or as a block CREATE PROCEDURE
insert_data(a integer, b integer) LANGUAGE SQL BEGIN ATOMIC
INSERT INTO tbl VALUES (a); INSERT INTO tbl VALUES (b); END; The
function body is parsed at function definition time and stored as expression
nodes in a new pg_proc column prosqlbody. So at run time, no further parsing
is required. However, this form does not support polymorphic arguments,
because there is no more parse analysis done at call time. Dependencies
between the function and the objects it uses are fully tracked. A new RETURN
statement is introduced. This can only be used inside function bodies.
Internally, it is treated much like a SELECT statement. psql needs some new
intelligence to keep track of function body boundaries so that it doesn't send
off statements when it sees semicolons that are inside a function body.
Tested-by: Jaime Casanova <jcasanov(at)systemguards(dot)com(dot)ec> Reviewed-by: Julien
Rouhaud <rjuju123(at)gmail(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1c11f1eb-f00c-43b7-799d-2d44132c02d7(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/1c11f1eb-f00c-43b7-799d-2d44132c02d7(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e717a9a18b2e34c9c40e5259ad4d31cd7e420750](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e717a9a18b2e34c9c40e5259ad4d31cd7e420750)

- Update Unicode data to CLDR 39.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2e0e0666790e48cec716d4947f89d067ef53490c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2e0e0666790e48cec716d4947f89d067ef53490c)

- doc: Prefer explicit JOIN syntax over old implicit syntax in tutorial. Update
src/tutorial/basics.source to match. Author: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de>
Reviewed-by: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com> Reviewed-by: "David G.
Johnston" <david(dot)g(dot)johnston(at)gmail(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/158996922318(dot)7035(dot)10603922579567326239(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/158996922318(dot)7035(dot)10603922579567326239(at)wrigleys(dot)postgresql(dot)org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fb310f17812e7321599845a29af2f36c7f1191c3](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/fb310f17812e7321599845a29af2f36c7f1191c3)

- Add ORDER BY to some regression test queries. Apparently, an unrelated patch
introduced some variation on the build farm. Reported-by: Magnus Hagander
<magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7e3c54168d9ec058cb3c9d47f8105b1d32dc8ceb](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7e3c54168d9ec058cb3c9d47f8105b1d32dc8ceb)

- doc: Additional documentation for date_bin. Reported-by: Justin Pryzby
<pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> Author: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFBsxsEEm1nuhZmfVQxvu_i3nDDEuvNJ_WMrDo9whFD_jusp-A@mail.gmail.com](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFBsxsEEm1nuhZmfVQxvu_i3nDDEuvNJ_WMrDo9whFD_jusp-A@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/49fb4e6b249029e75ccc6b490d76f15cd53d553b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/49fb4e6b249029e75ccc6b490d76f15cd53d553b)

- doc: Fix man page whitespace issues. Whitespace between tags is significant,
and in some cases it creates extra vertical space in man pages. The fix is to
remove some newlines in the markup.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9cae39b8e6a53decb37cce22852bb2e6d0e3f5d3](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9cae39b8e6a53decb37cce22852bb2e6d0e3f5d3)

- Improve behavior of date_bin with origin in the future. Currently, when the
origin is after the input, the result is the timestamp at the end of the bin,
rather than the beginning as expected. This puts the result consistently at
the beginning of the bin. Author: John Naylor <john(dot)naylor(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFBsxsGjLDxQofRfH+d4KSAXxPf3MMevUG7s6EDfdBOvHLDLjw@mail.gmail.com](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/CAFBsxsGjLDxQofRfH+d4KSAXxPf3MMevUG7s6EDfdBOvHLDLjw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/496e58bb0e5e939e6ed5839c92b05e3ab11b54bb](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/496e58bb0e5e939e6ed5839c92b05e3ab11b54bb)

Álvaro Herrera pushed:

- Align some terms in arch-dev.sgml to glossary. This mostly adds links to the
glossary to the existing text, instead of using <firstterm>. Heikki left this
out of 29ad6595ef7f out of stylistic concerns; these have since been
addressed. Author: Jürgen Purtz <juergen(at)purtz(dot)de> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/67d7240f-8596-83fc-5e15-af06c128a0f5@purtz.de](https://postgr.es/m/67d7240f-8596-83fc-5e15-af06c128a0f5@purtz.de)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6734e806958c4ebd253adb30b255983981818710](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6734e806958c4ebd253adb30b255983981818710)

- Repair find_inheritance_children with no active snapshot. When working on a
scan with only a catalog snapshot, we may not have an ActiveSnapshot set. If
we were to come across a detached partition, that would cause a crash. Fix by
only ignoring detached partitions when there's an active snapshot.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4131f755d548f74eba56285dc674f1f26e4ed6b4](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4131f755d548f74eba56285dc674f1f26e4ed6b4)

- autovacuum: handle analyze for partitioned tables. Previously, autovacuum
would completely ignore partitioned tables, which is not good regarding
analyze -- failing to analyze those tables means poor plans may be chosen.
Make autovacuum aware of those tables by propagating "changes since analyze"
counts from the leaf partitions up the partitioning hierarchy. This also
introduces necessary reloptions support for partitioned tables
(autovacuum_enabled, autovacuum_analyze_scale_factor,
autovacuum_analyze_threshold). It's unclear how best to document this aspect.
Author: Yuzuko Hosoya <yuzukohosoya(at)gmail(dot)com> Reviewed-by: Kyotaro Horiguchi
<horikyota(dot)ntt(at)gmail(dot)com> Reviewed-by: Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> Reviewed-by: Álvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAKkQ508_PwVgwJyBY=0Lmkz90j8CmWNPUxgHvCUwGhMrouz6UA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAKkQ508_PwVgwJyBY=0Lmkz90j8CmWNPUxgHvCUwGhMrouz6UA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0827e8af70f4653ba17ed773f123a60eadd9f9c9](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0827e8af70f4653ba17ed773f123a60eadd9f9c9)

- Set pg_class.reltuples for partitioned tables. When commit 0827e8af70f4 added
auto-analyze support for partitioned tables, it included code to obtain
reltuples for the partitioned table as a number of catalog accesses to read
pg_class.reltuples for each partition. That's not only very inefficient, but
also problematic because autovacuum doesn't hold any locks on any of those
tables -- and doesn't want to. Replace that code with a read of
pg_class.reltuples for the partitioned table, and make sure ANALYZE and
TRUNCATE properly maintain that value. I found no code that would be affected
by the change of relpages from zero to non-zero for partitioned tables, and no
other code that should be maintaining it, but if there is, hopefully it'll be
an easy fix. Per buildfarm. Author: Álvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>
Reviewed-by: Zhihong Yu <zyu(at)yugabyte(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/1823909.1617862590@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/1823909.1617862590@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0e69f705cc1a3df273b38c9883fb5765991e04fe](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0e69f705cc1a3df273b38c9883fb5765991e04fe)

- Document ANALYZE storage parameters for partitioned tables. Commit
0827e8af70f4 added parameters for autovacuum to support partitioned tables,
but didn't add any docs. Add them. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210408213051.GL6592@telsasoft.com](https://postgr.es/m/20210408213051.GL6592@telsasoft.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/41badeaba8beee7648ebe7923a41c04f1f3cb302](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/41badeaba8beee7648ebe7923a41c04f1f3cb302)

- Suppress length of Notice/Error msgs in PQtrace regress mode. A (relatively
minor) annoyance of ErrorResponse/NoticeResponse messages as printed by
PQtrace() is that their length might vary when we move error messages from one
source file to another, one function to another, or even when their location
line numbers change number of digits. To avoid having to adjust expected
files for some tests, make the regress mode of PQtrace() suppress the length
word of NoticeResponse and ErrorResponse messages. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210402023010.GA13563@alvherre.pgsql](https://postgr.es/m/20210402023010.GA13563@alvherre.pgsql)
Reviewed-by: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e7e341409a3d85aba4cf754ba9cf722a4d8e6676](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/e7e341409a3d85aba4cf754ba9cf722a4d8e6676)

Fujii Masao pushed:

- Shut down transaction tracking at startup process exit. Maxim Orlov reported
that the shutdown of standby server could result in the following assertion
failure. The cause of this issue was that, when the shutdown caused the
startup process to exit, recovery-time transaction tracking was not shut down
even if it's already initialized, and some locks the tracked transactions were
holding could not be released. At this situation, if other process was invoked
and the PGPROC entry that the startup process used was assigned to it, it
found such unreleased locks and caused the assertion failure, during the
initialization of it. TRAP:
FailedAssertion("SHMQueueEmpty(&(MyProc->myProcLocks[i]))" This commit fixes
this issue by making the startup process shut down transaction tracking and
release all locks, at the exit of it. Back-patch to all supported branches.
Reported-by: Maxim Orlov Author: Fujii Masao Reviewed-by: Maxim Orlov
[https://postgr.es/m/ad4ce692cc1d89a093b471ab1d969b0b@postgrespro.ru](https://postgr.es/m/ad4ce692cc1d89a093b471ab1d969b0b@postgrespro.ru)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ad8b674922eb70dc5cd02951dd82fe2c4c37c80a](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ad8b674922eb70dc5cd02951dd82fe2c4c37c80a)

- Add function to log the memory contexts of specified backend process. Commit
3e98c0bafb added pg_backend_memory_contexts view to display the memory
contexts of the backend process. However its target process is limited to the
backend that is accessing to the view. So this is not so convenient when
investigating the local memory bloat of other backend process. To improve this
situation, this commit adds pg_log_backend_memory_contexts() function that
requests to log the memory contexts of the specified backend process. This
information can be also collected by calling
MemoryContextStats(TopMemoryContext) via a debugger. But this technique cannot
be used in some environments because no debugger is available there. So,
pg_log_backend_memory_contexts() allows us to see the memory contexts of
specified backend more easily. Only superusers are allowed to request to log
the memory contexts because allowing any users to issue this request at an
unbounded rate would cause lots of log messages and which can lead to denial
of service. On receipt of the request, at the next CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS(),
the target backend logs its memory contexts at LOG_SERVER_ONLY level, so that
these memory contexts will appear in the server log but not be sent to the
client. It logs one message per memory context. Because if it buffers all
memory contexts into StringInfo to log them as one message, which may require
the buffer to be enlarged very much and lead to OOM error since there can be a
large number of memory contexts in a backend. When a backend process is
consuming huge memory, logging all its memory contexts might overrun available
disk space. To prevent this, now this patch limits the number of child
contexts to log per parent to 100. As with MemoryContextStats(), it supposes
that practical cases where the log gets long will typically be huge numbers of
siblings under the same parent context; while the additional debugging value
from seeing details about individual siblings beyond 100 will not be large.
There was another proposed patch to add the function to return the memory
contexts of specified backend as the result sets, instead of logging them, in
the discussion. However that patch is not included in this commit because it
had several issues to address. Thanks to Tatsuhito Kasahara, Andres Freund,
Tom Lane, Tomas Vondra, Michael Paquier, Kyotaro Horiguchi and Zhihong Yu for
the discussion. Bump catalog version. Author: Atsushi Torikoshi Reviewed-by:
Kyotaro Horiguchi, Zhihong Yu, Fujii Masao Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/0271f440ac77f2a4180e0e56ebd944d1@oss.nttdata.com](https://postgr.es/m/0271f440ac77f2a4180e0e56ebd944d1@oss.nttdata.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/43620e328617c1f41a2a54c8cee01723064e3ffa](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/43620e328617c1f41a2a54c8cee01723064e3ffa)

- Fix typo in pgstat.c. Introduced by 9868167500. Author: Vignesh C Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALDaNm1DqgaLBAJrtGznKk1sR1mH-augmp7LfGvxWwTUhah+rg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALDaNm1DqgaLBAJrtGznKk1sR1mH-augmp7LfGvxWwTUhah+rg@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f5d94e405e17a49487672316610630be2f9d0bb7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f5d94e405e17a49487672316610630be2f9d0bb7)

- Stop archive recovery if WAL generated with wal_level=minimal is found.
Previously if hot standby was enabled, archive recovery exited with an error
when it found WAL generated with wal_level=minimal. But if hot standby was
disabled, it just reported a warning and continued in that case. Which could
lead to data loss or errors during normal operation. A warning was emitted,
but users could easily miss that and not notice this serious situation until
they encountered the actual errors. To improve this situation, this commit
changes archive recovery so that it exits with FATAL error when it finds WAL
generated with wal_level=minimal whatever the setting of hot standby. This
enables users to notice the serious situation soon. The FATAL error is thrown
if archive recovery starts from a base backup taken before wal_level is
changed to minimal. When archive recovery exits with the error, if users have
a base backup taken after setting wal_level to higher than minimal, they can
recover the database by starting archive recovery from that newer backup. But
note that if such backup doesn't exist, there is no easy way to complete
archive recovery, which may make the database server unstartable and users may
lose whole database. The commit adds the note about this risk into the
document. Even in the case of unstartable database server, previously by just
disabling hot standby users could avoid the error during archive recovery,
forcibly start up the server and salvage data from it. But note that this
commit makes this procedure unavailable at all. Author: Takamichi Osumi
Reviewed-by: Laurenz Albe, Kyotaro Horiguchi, David Steele, Fujii Masao
[https://postgr.es/m/OSBPR01MB4888CBE1DA08818FD2D90ED8EDF90@OSBPR01MB4888.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com](https://postgr.es/m/OSBPR01MB4888CBE1DA08818FD2D90ED8EDF90@OSBPR01MB4888.jpnprd01.prod.outlook.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9de9294b0c4dac77edb80f029648afca79d14653](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9de9294b0c4dac77edb80f029648afca79d14653)

- postgres_fdw: Allow partitions specified in LIMIT TO to be imported. Commit
f49bcd4ef3 disallowed postgres_fdw to import table partitions. Because all
data can be accessed through the partitioned table which is the root of the
partitioning hierarchy, importing only partitioned table should allow access
to all the data without creating extra objects. This is a reasonable default
when importing a whole schema. But there may be the case where users want to
explicitly import one of a partitioned tables' partitions. For that use case,
this commit allows postgres_fdw to import tables or foreign tables which are
partitions of some other table only when they are explicitly specified in
LIMIT TO clause. It doesn't change the behavior that any partitions not
specified in LIMIT TO are automatically excluded in IMPORT FOREIGN SCHEMA
command. Author: Matthias van de Meent Reviewed-by: Bernd Helmle, Amit
Langote, Michael Paquier, Fujii Masao Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAEze2Whwg4i=mzApMe+PXxCEfgoZmHGqdqQFW7J4bmj_5p6t1A@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAEze2Whwg4i=mzApMe+PXxCEfgoZmHGqdqQFW7J4bmj_5p6t1A@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a3740c48eb2f91663c7c06c948dfcfb6493d2588](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a3740c48eb2f91663c7c06c948dfcfb6493d2588)

- Fix test added by commit 9de9294b0c. The buildfarm members "drongo" and
"fairywren" reported that the regression test (024_archive_recovery.pl) added
by commit 9de9294b0c failed. The cause of this failure is that the test calls
$node->init() without "allows_streaming => 1" and which doesn't add
pg_hba.conf entry for TCP/IP connection from pg_basebackup. This commit fixes
the issue by specifying "allows_streaming => 1" when calling $node->init().
Author: Fujii Masao Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/3cc3909d-f779-7a74-c201-f1f7f62c7497@oss.nttdata.com](https://postgr.es/m/3cc3909d-f779-7a74-c201-f1f7f62c7497@oss.nttdata.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8ee9b662daa6d51b54d21ec274f22a218462ad2d](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8ee9b662daa6d51b54d21ec274f22a218462ad2d)

- Allow TRUNCATE command to truncate foreign tables. This commit introduces new
foreign data wrapper API for TRUNCATE. It extends TRUNCATE command so that it
accepts foreign tables as the targets to truncate and invokes that API. Also
it extends postgres_fdw so that it can issue TRUNCATE command to foreign
servers, by adding new routine for that TRUNCATE API. The information about
options specified in TRUNCATE command, e.g., ONLY, CACADE, etc is passed to
FDW via API. The list of foreign tables to truncate is also passed to FDW. FDW
truncates the foreign data sources that the passed foreign tables specify,
based on those information. For example, postgres_fdw constructs TRUNCATE
command using them and issues it to the foreign server. For performance,
TRUNCATE command invokes the FDW routine for TRUNCATE once per foreign server
that foreign tables to truncate belong to. Author: Kazutaka Onishi, Kohei
KaiGai, slightly modified by Fujii Masao Reviewed-by: Bharath Rupireddy,
Michael Paquier, Zhihong Yu, Alvaro Herrera, Stephen Frost, Ashutosh Bapat,
Amit Langote, Daniel Gustafsson, Ibrar Ahmed, Fujii Masao Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAOP8fzb_gkReLput7OvOK+8NHgw-RKqNv59vem7=524krQTcWA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAOP8fzb_gkReLput7OvOK+8NHgw-RKqNv59vem7=524krQTcWA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://postgr.es/m/CAJuF6cMWDDqU-vn_knZgma+2GMaout68YUgn1uyDnexRhqqM5Q@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAJuF6cMWDDqU-vn_knZgma+2GMaout68YUgn1uyDnexRhqqM5Q@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8ff1c94649f5c9184ac5f07981d8aea9dfd7ac19](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8ff1c94649f5c9184ac5f07981d8aea9dfd7ac19)

- Remove COMMIT_TS_SETTS record. Commit 438fc4a39c prevented the WAL replay from
writing COMMIT_TS_SETTS record. By this change there is no code that generates
COMMIT_TS_SETTS record in PostgreSQL core. Also we can think that there are no
extensions using the record because we've not received so far any complaints
about the issue that commit 438fc4a39c fixed. Therefore this commit removes
COMMIT_TS_SETTS record and its related code. Even without this record, the
timestamp required for commit timestamp feature can be acquired from the
COMMIT record. Bump WAL page magic. Reported-by: lx zou <zoulx1982(at)163(dot)com>
Author: Fujii Masao Reviewed-by: Alvaro Herrera Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/16931-620d0f2fdc6108f1@postgresql.org](https://postgr.es/m/16931-620d0f2fdc6108f1@postgresql.org)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/08aa89b326261b669648df97d4f2a6edba22d26a](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/08aa89b326261b669648df97d4f2a6edba22d26a)

- Avoid unnecessary table open/close in TRUNCATE command. ExecuteTruncate()
filters out the duplicate tables specified in the TRUNCATE command, for
example in the case where "TRUNCATE foo, foo" is executed. Such duplicate
tables obviously don't need to be opened and closed because they are skipped.
But previously it always opened the tables before checking whether they were
duplicated ones or not, and then closed them if they were. That is, the
duplicated tables were opened and closed unnecessarily. This commit changes
ExecuteTruncate() so that it opens the table after it confirms that table is
not duplicated one, which leads to avoid unnecessary table open/close. Do not
back-patch because such unnecessary table open/close is not a bug though it
exists in older versions. Author: Bharath Rupireddy Reviewed-by: Amul Sul,
Fujii Masao Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACUdBO_sXJTa08OZ0YT0qk7F_gAmRa9hT4dxRcgPS4nsZA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACUdBO_sXJTa08OZ0YT0qk7F_gAmRa9hT4dxRcgPS4nsZA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/81a23dd87999ec9fb62554328c69c5b678612d56](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/81a23dd87999ec9fb62554328c69c5b678612d56)

Stephen Frost pushed:

- Add pg_read_all_data and pg_write_all_data roles. A commonly requested
use-case is to have a role who can run an unfettered pg_dump without having to
explicitly GRANT that user access to all tables, schemas, et al, without that
role being a superuser. This address that by adding a "pg_read_all_data" role
which implicitly gives any member of this role SELECT rights on all tables,
views and sequences, and USAGE rights on all schemas. As there may be cases
where it's also useful to have a role who has write access to all objects,
pg_write_all_data is also introduced and gives users implicit INSERT, UPDATE
and DELETE rights on all tables, views and sequences. These roles can not be
logged into directly but instead should be GRANT'd to a role which is able to
log in. As noted in the documentation, if RLS is being used then an
administrator may (or may not) wish to set BYPASSRLS on the login role which
these predefined roles are GRANT'd to. Reviewed-by: Georgios Kokolatos
[https://postgr.es/m/20200828003023.GU29590@tamriel.snowman.net](https://postgr.es/m/20200828003023.GU29590@tamriel.snowman.net)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6c3ffd697e2242f5497ea4b40fffc8f6f922ff60](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6c3ffd697e2242f5497ea4b40fffc8f6f922ff60)

Peter Geoghegan pushed:

- Simplify state managed by VACUUM. Reorganize the state struct used by VACUUM
-- group related items together to make it easier to understand. Also stop
relying on stack variables inside lazy_scan_heap() -- move those into the
state struct instead. Doing things this way simplifies large groups of
related functions whose function signatures had a lot of unnecessary
redundancy. Switch over to using int64 for the struct fields used to count
things that are reported to the user via log_autovacuum and VACUUM VERBOSE
output. We were using double, but that doesn't seem to have any advantages.
Using int64 makes it possible to add assertions that verify that the first
pass over the heap (pruning) encounters precisely the same number of LP_DEAD
items that get deleted from indexes later on, in the second pass over the
heap. These assertions will be added in later commits. Finally, adjust the
signatures of functions with IndexBulkDeleteResult pointer arguments in cases
where there was ambiguity about whether or not the argument relates to a
single index or all indexes. Functions now use the idiom that both
ambulkdelete() and amvacuumcleanup() have always used (where appropriate):
accept a mutable IndexBulkDeleteResult pointer argument, and return a result
IndexBulkDeleteResult pointer to caller. Author: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie>
Reviewed-By: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> Reviewed-By: Robert Haas
<robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzkeOSYwC6KNckbhk2b1aNnWum6Yyn0NKP9D-Hq1LGTDPw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzkeOSYwC6KNckbhk2b1aNnWum6Yyn0NKP9D-Hq1LGTDPw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b4af70cb210393c9c8f41643acf6b213e21178e7](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b4af70cb210393c9c8f41643acf6b213e21178e7)

- Propagate parallel VACUUM's buffer access strategy. Parallel VACUUM relied on
global variable state from the leader process being propagated to workers on
fork(). Commit b4af70cb removed most uses of global variables inside
vacuumlazy.c, but did not account for the buffer access strategy state. To
fix, propagate the state through shared memory instead. Per buildfarm
failures on elver, curculio, and morepork. Many thanks to Thomas Munro for
off-list assistance with this issue.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/49f49defe7c0a330cca084de5da14ccdfdafc6a3](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/49f49defe7c0a330cca084de5da14ccdfdafc6a3)

- Allocate access strategy in parallel VACUUM workers. Commit 49f49def took
entirely the wrong approach to fixing this issue. Just allocate a local buffer
access strategy in each individual worker instead of trying to propagate
state. This state was never propagated by parallel VACUUM in the first place.
It looks like the only reason that this worked following commit 40d964ec was
that it involved static global variables, which are initialized to 0 per the C
standard. A more comprehensive fix may be necessary, even on HEAD. This fix
should at least get the buildfarm green once again. Thanks once again to
Thomas Munro for continued off-list assistance with the issue.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f6b8f19a084ce949522fcbc940dc116c034cfc47](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f6b8f19a084ce949522fcbc940dc116c034cfc47)

- Refactor lazy_scan_heap() loop. Add a lazy_scan_heap() subsidiary function
that handles heap pruning and tuple freezing: lazy_scan_prune(). This is a
great deal cleaner. The code that remains in lazy_scan_heap()'s per-block
loop can now be thought of as code that either comes before or after the call
to lazy_scan_prune(), which is now the clear focal point. This division is
enforced by the way in which we now manage state. lazy_scan_prune() outputs
state (using its own struct) that describes what to do with the page following
pruning and freezing (e.g., visibility map maintenance, recording free space
in the FSM). It doesn't get passed any special instructional state from the
preamble code, though. Also cleanly separate the logic used by a VACUUM with
INDEX_CLEANUP=off from the logic used by single-heap-pass VACUUMs. The former
case is now structured as the omission of index and heap vacuuming by a two
pass VACUUM. The latter case goes back to being used only when the table
happens to have no indexes (just as it was before commit a96c41fe). This
structure is much more natural, since the whole point of INDEX_CLEANUP=off is
to skip the index and heap vacuuming that would otherwise take place. The
single-heap-pass case doesn't skip any useful work, though -- it just does
heap pruning and heap vacuuming together when the table happens to have no
indexes. Both of these changes are preparation for an upcoming patch that
generalizes the mechanism used by INDEX_CLEANUP=off. The later patch will
allow VACUUM to give up on index and heap vacuuming dynamically, as problems
emerge (e.g., with wraparound), so that an affected VACUUM operation can
finish up as soon as possible. Also fix a very old bug in single-pass VACUUM
VERBOSE output. We were reporting the number of tuples deleted via pruning as
a direct substitute for reporting the number of LP_DEAD items removed in a
function that deals with the second pass over the heap. But that doesn't work
at all -- they're two different things. To fix, start tracking the total
number of LP_DEAD items encountered during pruning, and use that in the report
instead. A single pass VACUUM will always vacuum away whatever LP_DEAD items
a heap page has immediately after it is pruned, so the total number of LP_DEAD
items encountered during pruning equals the total number vacuumed-away. (They
are _not_ equal in the INDEX_CLEANUP=off case, but that's okay because
skipping index vacuuming is now a totally orthogonal concept to one-pass
VACUUM.) Also stop reporting the count of LP_UNUSED items in VACUUM VERBOSE
output. This makes the output of VACUUM VERBOSE more consistent with
log_autovacuum's output (because it never showed information about LP_UNUSED
items). VACUUM VERBOSE reported LP_UNUSED items left behind by the last
VACUUM, and LP_UNUSED items created via pruning HOT chains during the current
VACUUM (it never included LP_UNUSED items left behind by the current VACUUM's
second pass over the heap). This makes it useless as an indicator of line
pointer bloat, which must have been the original intention. (Like the first
VACUUM VERBOSE issue, this issue was arguably an oversight in commit 282d2a03,
which added the heap-only tuple optimization.) Finally, stop reporting
empty_pages in VACUUM VERBOSE output, and start reporting pages_removed
instead. This also makes the output of VACUUM VERBOSE more consistent with
log_autovacuum's output (which does not show empty_pages, but does show
pages_removed). An empty page isn't meaningfully different to a page that is
almost empty, or a page that is empty but for only a small number of remaining
LP_UNUSED items. Author: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> Reviewed-By: Robert
Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com> Reviewed-By: Masahiko Sawada
<sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WznneCXTzuFmcwx_EyRQgfsfJAAsu+CsqRFmFXCAar=nJw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WznneCXTzuFmcwx_EyRQgfsfJAAsu+CsqRFmFXCAar=nJw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7ab96cf6b312cfcd79cdc1a69c6bdb75de0ed30f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/7ab96cf6b312cfcd79cdc1a69c6bdb75de0ed30f)

- Remove tupgone special case from vacuumlazy.c. Retry the call to
heap_prune_page() in rare cases where there is disagreement between the
heap_prune_page() call and the call to HeapTupleSatisfiesVacuum() that
immediately follows. Disagreement is possible when a concurrently-aborted
transaction makes a tuple DEAD during the tiny window between each step. This
was the only case where a tuple considered DEAD by VACUUM still had storage
following pruning. VACUUM's definition of dead tuples is now uniformly simple
and unambiguous: dead tuples from each page are always LP_DEAD line pointers
that were encountered just after we performed pruning (and just before we
considered freezing remaining items with tuple storage). Eliminating the
tupgone=true special case enables INDEX_CLEANUP=off style skipping of index
vacuuming that takes place based on flexible, dynamic criteria. The
INDEX_CLEANUP=off case had to know about skipping indexes up-front before now,
due to a subtle interaction with the special case (see commit dd695979) --
this was a special case unto itself. Now there are no special cases. And so
now it won't matter when or how we decide to skip index vacuuming: it won't
affect how pruning behaves, and it won't be affected by any of the
implementation details of pruning or freezing. Also remove
XLOG_HEAP2_CLEANUP_INFO records. These are no longer necessary because we now
rely entirely on heap pruning taking care of recovery conflicts. There is no
longer any need to generate recovery conflicts for DEAD tuples that pruning
just missed. This also means that heap vacuuming now uses exactly the same
strategy for recovery conflicts as index vacuuming always has: REDO routines
never need to process a latestRemovedXid from the WAL record, since earlier
REDO of the WAL record from pruning is sufficient in all cases. The generic
XLOG_HEAP2_CLEAN record type is now split into two new record types to reflect
this new division (these are called XLOG_HEAP2_PRUNE and XLOG_HEAP2_VACUUM).
Also stop acquiring a super-exclusive lock for heap pages when they're
vacuumed during VACUUM's second heap pass. A regular exclusive lock is
enough. This is correct because heap page vacuuming is now strictly a matter
of setting the LP_DEAD line pointers to LP_UNUSED. No other backend can have
a pointer to a tuple located in a pinned buffer that can be invalidated by a
concurrent heap page vacuum operation. Heap vacuuming can now be thought of
as conceptually similar to index vacuuming and conceptually dissimilar to heap
pruning. Heap pruning now has sole responsibility for anything involving the
logical contents of the database (e.g., managing transaction status
information, recovery conflicts, considering what to do with HOT chains).
Index vacuuming and heap vacuuming are now only concerned with recycling
garbage items from physical data structures that back the logical database.
Bump XLOG_PAGE_MAGIC due to pruning and heap page vacuum WAL record changes.
Credit for the idea of retrying pruning a page to avoid the tupgone case goes
to Andres Freund. Author: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> Reviewed-By: Andres
Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> Reviewed-By: Masahiko Sawada
<sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WznneCXTzuFmcwx_EyRQgfsfJAAsu+CsqRFmFXCAar=nJw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WznneCXTzuFmcwx_EyRQgfsfJAAsu+CsqRFmFXCAar=nJw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8523492d4e349c4714aa2ab0291be175a88cb4fc](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8523492d4e349c4714aa2ab0291be175a88cb4fc)

- Truncate line pointer array during VACUUM. Teach VACUUM to truncate the line
pointer array of each heap page when a contiguous group of LP_UNUSED line
pointers appear at the end of the array -- these unused and unreferenced items
are excluded. This process occurs during VACUUM's second pass over the heap,
right after LP_DEAD line pointers on the page (those encountered/pruned during
the first pass) are marked LP_UNUSED. Truncation avoids line pointer bloat
with certain workloads, particularly those involving continual range DELETEs
and bulk INSERTs against the same table. Also harden heapam code to check for
an out-of-range page offset number in places where we weren't already doing
so. Author: Matthias van de Meent <boekewurm+postgres(at)gmail(dot)com> Author:
Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> Reviewed-By: Masahiko Sawada
<sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> Reviewed-By: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAEze2WjgaQc55Y5f5CQd3L=eS5CZcff2Obxp=O6pto8-f0hC4w@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAEze2WjgaQc55Y5f5CQd3L=eS5CZcff2Obxp=O6pto8-f0hC4w@mail.gmail.com)
[https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-Wzn6a64PJM1Ggzm=uvx2otsopJMhFQj_g1rAj4GWr3ZSzw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-Wzn6a64PJM1Ggzm=uvx2otsopJMhFQj_g1rAj4GWr3ZSzw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3c3b8a4b26891892bccf3d220580a7f413c0b9ca](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3c3b8a4b26891892bccf3d220580a7f413c0b9ca)

- Add wraparound failsafe to VACUUM. Add a failsafe mechanism that is triggered
by VACUUM when it notices that the table's relfrozenxid and/or relminmxid are
dangerously far in the past. VACUUM checks the age of the table dynamically,
at regular intervals. When the failsafe triggers, VACUUM takes extraordinary
measures to finish as quickly as possible so that relfrozenxid and/or
relminmxid can be advanced. VACUUM will stop applying any cost-based delay
that may be in effect. VACUUM will also bypass any further index vacuuming
and heap vacuuming -- it only completes whatever remaining pruning and
freezing is required. Bypassing index/heap vacuuming is enabled by commit
8523492d, which made it possible to dynamically trigger the mechanism already
used within VACUUM when it is run with INDEX_CLEANUP off. It is expected that
the failsafe will almost always trigger within an autovacuum to prevent
wraparound, long after the autovacuum began. However, the failsafe mechanism
can trigger in any VACUUM operation. Even in a non-aggressive VACUUM, where
we're likely to not advance relfrozenxid, it still seems like a good idea to
finish off remaining pruning and freezing. An aggressive/anti-wraparound
VACUUM will be launched immediately afterwards. Note that the anti-wraparound
VACUUM that follows will itself trigger the failsafe, usually before it even
begins its first (and only) pass over the heap. The failsafe is controlled by
two new GUCs: vacuum_failsafe_age, and vacuum_multixact_failsafe_age. There
are no equivalent reloptions, since that isn't expected to be useful. The
GUCs have rather high defaults (both default to 1.6 billion), and are expected
to generally only be used to make the failsafe trigger sooner/more frequently.
Author: Masahiko Sawada <sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> Author: Peter Geoghegan
<pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAD21AoD0SkE11fMw4jD4RENAwBMcw1wasVnwpJVw3tVqPOQgAw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAD21AoD0SkE11fMw4jD4RENAwBMcw1wasVnwpJVw3tVqPOQgAw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzmgH3ySGYeC-m-eOBsa2=sDwa292-CFghV4rESYo39FsQ@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzmgH3ySGYeC-m-eOBsa2=sDwa292-CFghV4rESYo39FsQ@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1e55e7d1755cefbb44982fbacc7da461fa8684e6](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1e55e7d1755cefbb44982fbacc7da461fa8684e6)

- Teach VACUUM to bypass unnecessary index vacuuming. VACUUM has never needed to
call ambulkdelete() for each index in cases where there are precisely zero
TIDs in its dead_tuples array by the end of its first pass over the heap (also
its only pass over the heap in this scenario). Index vacuuming is simply not
required when this happens. Index cleanup will still go ahead, but in
practice most calls to amvacuumcleanup() are usually no-ops when there were
zero preceding ambulkdelete() calls. In short, VACUUM has generally managed
to avoid index scans when there were clearly no index tuples to delete from
indexes. But cases with _close to_ no index tuples to delete were another
matter -- a round of ambulkdelete() calls took place (one per index), each of
which performed a full index scan. VACUUM now behaves just as if there were
zero index tuples to delete in cases where there are in fact "virtually zero"
such tuples. That is, it can now bypass index vacuuming and heap vacuuming as
an optimization (though not index cleanup). Whether or not VACUUM bypasses
indexes is determined dynamically, based on the just-observed number of heap
pages in the table that have one or more LP_DEAD items (LP_DEAD items in heap
pages have a 1:1 correspondence with index tuples that still need to be
deleted from each index in the worst case). We only skip index vacuuming when
2% or less of the table's pages have one or more LP_DEAD items -- bypassing
index vacuuming as an optimization must not noticeably impede setting bits in
the visibility map. As a further condition, the dead_tuples array (i.e.
VACUUM's array of LP_DEAD item TIDs) must not exceed 32MB at the point that
the first pass over the heap finishes, which is also when the decision to
bypass is made. (The VACUUM must also have been able to fit all TIDs in its
maintenance_work_mem-bound dead_tuples space, though with a default
maintenance_work_mem setting it can't matter.) This avoids surprising jumps
in the duration and overhead of routine vacuuming with workloads where
successive VACUUM operations consistently have almost zero dead index tuples.
The number of LP_DEAD items may well accumulate over multiple VACUUM
operations, before finally the threshold is crossed and VACUUM performs
conventional index vacuuming. Even then, the optimization will have avoided a
great deal of largely unnecessary index vacuuming. In the future we may teach
VACUUM to skip index vacuuming on a per-index basis, using a much more
sophisticated approach. For now we only consider the extreme cases, where we
can be quite confident that index vacuuming just isn't worth it using simple
heuristics. Also log information about how many heap pages have one or more
LP_DEAD items when autovacuum logging is enabled. Author: Masahiko Sawada
<sawada(dot)mshk(at)gmail(dot)com> Author: Peter Geoghegan <pg(at)bowt(dot)ie> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAD21AoD0SkE11fMw4jD4RENAwBMcw1wasVnwpJVw3tVqPOQgAw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAD21AoD0SkE11fMw4jD4RENAwBMcw1wasVnwpJVw3tVqPOQgAw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzmkebqPd4MVGuPTOS9bMFvp9MDs5cRTCOsv1rQJ3jCbXw@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAH2-WzmkebqPd4MVGuPTOS9bMFvp9MDs5cRTCOsv1rQJ3jCbXw@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5100010ee4d5c8ef46619dbd1d17090c627e6d0a](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5100010ee4d5c8ef46619dbd1d17090c627e6d0a)

- Silence another `_bt_check_unique` compiler warning. Per complaint from Tom Lane
[https://postgr.es/m/1922884.1617909599@sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/1922884.1617909599@sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/796092fb84c08162ae803e83a13aa8bd6d9b23d0](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/796092fb84c08162ae803e83a13aa8bd6d9b23d0)

Amit Kapila pushed:

- Refactor function parse_output_parameters. Instead of using multiple
parameters in parse_ouput_parameters function signature, use the struct
PGOutputData that encapsulates all pgoutput options. It will be useful for
future work where we need to add other options in pgoutput. Author: Euler
Taveira Reviewed-by: Amit Kapila Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CADK3HHJ-+9SO7KuRLH=9Wa1rAo60Yreq1GFNkH_kd0=CdaWM+A@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CADK3HHJ-+9SO7KuRLH=9Wa1rAo60Yreq1GFNkH_kd0=CdaWM+A@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/531737ddad214cb8a675953208e2f3a6b1be122b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/531737ddad214cb8a675953208e2f3a6b1be122b)

- Allow pgoutput to send logical decoding messages. The output plugin accepts a
new parameter (messages) that controls if logical decoding messages are
written into the replication stream. It is useful for those clients that use
pgoutput as an output plugin and needs to process messages that were written
by pg_logical_emit_message(). Although logical streaming replication protocol
supports logical decoding messages now, logical replication does not use this
feature yet. Author: David Pirotte, Euler Taveira Reviewed-by: Euler Taveira,
Andres Freund, Ashutosh Bapat, Amit Kapila Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CADK3HHJ-+9SO7KuRLH=9Wa1rAo60Yreq1GFNkH_kd0=CdaWM+A@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CADK3HHJ-+9SO7KuRLH=9Wa1rAo60Yreq1GFNkH_kd0=CdaWM+A@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ac4645c0157fc5fcef0af8ff571512aa284a2cec](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ac4645c0157fc5fcef0af8ff571512aa284a2cec)

- Fix the tests added by commit ac4645c015. In the tests, after disabling the
subscription, we were not waiting for the replication connection to drop from
the publisher. So when the test was trying to use the same slot to fetch the
messages via SQL API, it sometimes gives an error that the replication slot is
active for other PID. Per buildfarm.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/266b5673b4b6bed2e9ebfe73ca967f44d6dc0e6c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/266b5673b4b6bed2e9ebfe73ca967f44d6dc0e6c)

- Fix typo in jsonfuncs.c. Author: Tatsuro Yamada Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/7c166a60-2808-6b89-9524-feefc6233748@nttcom.co.jp_1](https://postgr.es/m/7c166a60-2808-6b89-9524-feefc6233748@nttcom.co.jp_1)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8ffb003591ff02f59d92c36a5791307881863146](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/8ffb003591ff02f59d92c36a5791307881863146)

David Rowley pushed:

- Fix compiler warning in fe-trace.c for MSVC. It seems that in MSVC timeval's
tv_sec field is of type long. localtime() takes a time_t pointer. Since long
is 32-bit even on 64-bit builds in MSVC, passing a long pointer instead of the
correct time_t pointer generated a compiler warning. Fix that. Reviewed-by:
Tom Lane Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvoRG25X_=ZCGSPb4KN_j2iu=G2uXsRSg8NBZeuhkOSETg@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvoRG25X_=ZCGSPb4KN_j2iu=G2uXsRSg8NBZeuhkOSETg@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9bc9b4609a246ded5caf3f3d4c0013a002ba2323](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9bc9b4609a246ded5caf3f3d4c0013a002ba2323)

- Fix compiler warning for MSVC in libpq_pipeline.c. DEBUG was already defined
by the MSVC toolchain for "Debug" builds. On these systems the unconditional
#define DEBUG was causing a 'DEBUG': macro redefinition warning. Here we
rename DEBUG to DEBUG_OUPUT and also get rid of the #define which defined this
constant. This appears to have been left in the code by mistake. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvqTTgDm38s4HRj03nhzhzQ1oMOj-RXFUB1pE6Bj07jyuQ@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvqTTgDm38s4HRj03nhzhzQ1oMOj-RXFUB1pE6Bj07jyuQ@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3b82d990ab784881153c0f127e4c1211e9b6065c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/3b82d990ab784881153c0f127e4c1211e9b6065c)

- Cleanup partition pruning step generation. There was some code in
gen_prune_steps_from_opexps that needlessly checked a list was not empty when
it clearly had to contain at least one item. This prompted a further cleanup
operation in partprune.c. Additionally, the previous code could end up adding
additional needless INTERSECT steps. However, those do not appear to be able
to cause any misbehavior. gen_prune_steps_from_opexps is now no longer in
charge of generating combine pruning steps. Instead,
gen_partprune_steps_internal, which already does some combine step creation
has been given the sole responsibility of generating all combine steps. This
means that when we recursively call gen_partprune_steps_internal, since it
always now adds a combine step when it produces multiple steps, we can just
pay attention to the final step returned. In passing, do quite a bit of work
on the comments to try to more clearly explain the role of both
gen_partprune_steps_internal and gen_prune_steps_from_opexps. This is fairly
complex code so some extra effort to give any new readers an overview of how
things work seems like a good idea. Author: Amit Langote Reported-by: Andy
Fan Reviewed-by: Kyotaro Horiguchi, Andy Fan, Ryan Lambert, David Rowley
[https://postgr.es/m/CAKU4AWqWoVii+bRTeBQmeVW+PznkdO8DfbwqNsu9Gj4ubt9A6w@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAKU4AWqWoVii+bRTeBQmeVW+PznkdO8DfbwqNsu9Gj4ubt9A6w@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5ac9c4307337313bedeafc21dbbab93ba809241c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5ac9c4307337313bedeafc21dbbab93ba809241c)

- Speedup ScalarArrayOpExpr evaluation. ScalarArrayOpExprs with "useOr=true" and
a set of Consts on the righthand side have traditionally been evaluated by
using a linear search over the array. When these arrays contain large numbers
of elements then this linear search could become a significant part of
execution time. Here we add a new method of evaluating ScalarArrayOpExpr
expressions to allow them to be evaluated by first building a hash table
containing each element, then on subsequent evaluations, we just probe that
hash table to determine if there is a match. The planner is in charge of
determining when this optimization is possible and it enables it by setting
hashfuncid in the ScalarArrayOpExpr. The executor will only perform the hash
table evaluation when the hashfuncid is set. This means that not all cases
are optimized. For example CHECK constraints containing an IN clause won't go
through the planner, so won't get the hashfuncid set. We could maybe do
something about that at some later date. The reason we're not doing it now is
from fear that we may slow down cases where the expression is evaluated only
once. Those cases can be common, for example, a single row INSERT to a table
with a CHECK constraint containing an IN clause. In the planner, we enable
this when there are suitable hash functions for the ScalarArrayOpExpr's
operator and only when there is at least MIN_ARRAY_SIZE_FOR_HASHED_SAOP
elements in the array. The threshold is currently set to 9. Author: James
Coleman, David Rowley Reviewed-by: David Rowley, Tomas Vondra, Heikki
Linnakangas Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAAaqYe8x62+=wn0zvNKCj55tPpg-JBHzhZFFc6ANovdqFw7-dA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAAaqYe8x62+=wn0zvNKCj55tPpg-JBHzhZFFc6ANovdqFw7-dA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/50e17ad281b8d1c1b410c9833955bc80fbad4078](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/50e17ad281b8d1c1b410c9833955bc80fbad4078)

- Improve slightly misleading comments in nodeFuncs.c. There were some comments
in nodeFuncs.c that, depending on your interpretation of the word "result",
could lead you to believe that the comments were badly copied and pasted from
somewhere else. If you thought of "result" as the return value of the
function that the comment is written in, then you'd be misled. However, if
you'd correctly interpreted "result" to mean the result type of the given node
type, you'd not have seen any issues. Here we do a small cleanup to try to
prevent any future misinterpretations. Per wording suggestion from Tom Lane.
Reviewed-by: Tom Lane Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvp+Bw=2Qiu5=uXMKfC7gd0+B=4JvexVgGJU=am2g9a1CA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvp+Bw=2Qiu5=uXMKfC7gd0+B=4JvexVgGJU=am2g9a1CA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/152d33bccec7176f50be225bdbedf2e6de214e54](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/152d33bccec7176f50be225bdbedf2e6de214e54)

Etsuro Fujita pushed:

- Adjust input value to WaitEventSetWait() in ExecAppendAsyncEventWait(). Adjust
the number of events given to WaitEventSetWait() so that it doesn't exceed the
maximum number of events in the WaitEventSet given to that function
(set->nevents_space) in hopes of making the buildfarm green. Per valgrind
failure report from Tom Lane and the buildfarm. Author: Etsuro Fujita
[https://postgr.es/m/3411577.1617289776%40sss.pgh.pa.us](https://postgr.es/m/3411577.1617289776%40sss.pgh.pa.us)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a8af856d3257138590788e40eb84049def147acf](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/a8af856d3257138590788e40eb84049def147acf)

Dean Rasheed pushed:

- pgbench: Function to generate random permutations. This adds a new function,
permute(), that generates pseudorandom permutations of arbitrary sizes. This
can be used to randomly shuffle a set of values to remove unwanted
correlations. For example, permuting the output from a non-uniform random
distribution so that all the most common values aren't collocated, allowing
more realistic tests to be performed. Formerly, hash() was recommended for
this purpose, but that suffers from collisions that might alter the
distribution, so recommend permute() for this purpose instead. Fabien Coelho
and Hironobu Suzuki, with additional hacking be me. Reviewed by Thomas Munro,
Alvaro Herrera and Muhammad Usama. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/alpine.DEB.2.21.1807280944370.5142@lancre](https://postgr.es/m/alpine.DEB.2.21.1807280944370.5142@lancre)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6b258e3d688db14aadb58dde2a72939362310684](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6b258e3d688db14aadb58dde2a72939362310684)

Heikki Linnakangas pushed:

- Mark test_enc_conversion() as STRICT. Reported-by: Jaime Casanova, using
SQLsmith Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210402235337.GA4082@ahch-to](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/20210402235337.GA4082@ahch-to)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c4c393b3ec83ceb4b4d7f37cdd5302126377d069](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c4c393b3ec83ceb4b4d7f37cdd5302126377d069)

- Add sortsupport for gist_btree opclasses, for faster index builds. Commit
16fa9b2b30 introduced a faster way to build GiST indexes, by sorting all the
data. This commit adds the sortsupport functions needed to make use of that
feature for btree_gist. Author: Andrey Borodin Discussion:
[https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2F3F7265-0D22-44DB-AD71-8554C743D943@yandex-team.ru](https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/2F3F7265-0D22-44DB-AD71-8554C743D943@yandex-team.ru)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9f984ba6d23dc6eecebf479ab1d3f2e550a4e9be](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/9f984ba6d23dc6eecebf479ab1d3f2e550a4e9be)

- Revert "Add sortsupport for gist_btree opclasses, for faster index builds.".
This reverts commit 9f984ba6d23dc6eecebf479ab1d3f2e550a4e9be. It was making
the buildfarm unhappy, apparently setting client_min_messages in a regression
test produces different output if log_statement='all'. Another issue is that I
now suspect the bit sortsupport function was in fact not correct to call
byteacmp(). Revert to investigate both of those issues.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d92b1cdbab408d8f1299257125c9ae375f3ca644](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/d92b1cdbab408d8f1299257125c9ae375f3ca644)

Tomáš Vondra pushed:

- Fix handling of clauses incompatible with extended statistics. Handling of
incompatible clauses while applying extended statistics was a bit confused -
while handling a mix of compatible and incompatible clauses it sometimes
incorrectly treated the incompatible clauses as compatible, resulting in a
crash. Fixed by reworking the code applying the selected statistics object to
make it easier to understand, and adding a proper compatibility check.
Reported-by: David Rowley Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvpYT10-nkSp8xXe-nbO3jmoaRyRFHbzh-RWMfAJynqgpQ%40mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CAApHDvpYT10-nkSp8xXe-nbO3jmoaRyRFHbzh-RWMfAJynqgpQ%40mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/518442c7f334f3b05ea28b7ef50f1b551cfcc23e](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/518442c7f334f3b05ea28b7ef50f1b551cfcc23e)

- Don't add non-existent pages to bitmap from BRIN. The code in bringetbitmap()
simply added the whole matching page range to the TID bitmap, as determined by
pages_per_range, even if some of the pages were beyond the end of the heap.
The query then might fail with an error like this: ERROR: could not open
file "base/20176/20228.2" (target block 262144): previous segment is
only 131021 blocks In this case, the relation has 262093 pages (131072 and
131021 pages), but we're trying to acess block 262144, i.e. first block of the
3rd segment. At that point `_mdfd_getseg()` notices the preceding segment is
incomplete, and fails. Hitting this in practice is rather unlikely, because:
* Most indexes use power-of-two ranges, so segments and page ranges align
perfectly (segment end is also a page range end). * The table size has to be
just right, with the last segment being almost full - less than one page
range from full segment, so that the last page range actually crosses the
segment boundary. * Prefetch has to be enabled. The regular page access
checks that pages are not beyond heap end, but prefetch does not. On older
releases (before 12) the execution stops after hitting the first
non-existent page, so the prefetch distance has to be sufficient to reach
the first page in the next segment to trigger the issue. Since 12 it's
enough to just have prefetch enabled, the prefetch distance does not matter.
Fixed by not adding non-existent pages to the TID bitmap. Backpatch all the
way back to 9.6 (BRIN indexes were introduced in 9.5, but that release is
EOL). Backpatch-through: 9.6
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/23607a8156d595522c232ff3933d77041d3adaa1](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/23607a8156d595522c232ff3933d77041d3adaa1)

Andres Freund pushed:

- Increment xactCompletionCount during subtransaction abort. Snapshot caching,
introduced in 623a9ba79b, did not increment xactCompletionCount during
subtransaction abort. That could lead to an older snapshot being reused. That
is, at least as far as I can see, not a correctness issue (for MVCC snapshots
there's no difference between "in progress" and "aborted"). The only
difference between the old and new snapshots would be a newer ->xmax. While
HeapTupleSatisfiesMVCC makes the same visibility determination, reusing the
old snapshot leads HeapTupleSatisfiesMVCC to not set HEAP_XMIN_INVALID. Which
subsequently causes the kill_prior_tuple optimization to not kick in (via
HeapTupleIsSurelyDead() returning false). The performance effects of doing the
same index-lookups over and over again is how the issue was discovered... Fix
the issue by incrementing xactCompletionCount in XidCacheRemoveRunningXids. It
already acquires ProcArrayLock exclusively, making that an easy proposition.
Add a test to ensure that kill_prior_tuple prevents index growth when it
involves aborted subtransaction of the current transaction. Author: Andres
Freund Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210406043521.lopeo7bbigad3n6t@alap3.anarazel.de](https://postgr.es/m/20210406043521.lopeo7bbigad3n6t@alap3.anarazel.de)
[https://postgr.es/m/20210317055718.v6qs3ltzrformqoa%40alap3.anarazel.de](https://postgr.es/m/20210317055718.v6qs3ltzrformqoa%40alap3.anarazel.de)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/90c885cdab8bc5a5f12a243774fa0db51002a2fd](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/90c885cdab8bc5a5f12a243774fa0db51002a2fd)

- Cope with NULL query string in ExecInitParallelPlan(). It's far from clear
that this is the right approach - but a good portion of the buildfarm has been
red for a few hours, on the last day of the CF. And this fixes at least the
obvious crash. So let's go with that for now. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210407225806.majgznh4lk34hjvu%40alap3.anarazel.de](https://postgr.es/m/20210407225806.majgznh4lk34hjvu%40alap3.anarazel.de)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b3ee4c503872f3d0a5d6a7cbde48815f555af15b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/b3ee4c503872f3d0a5d6a7cbde48815f555af15b)

Magnus Hagander pushed:

- Refactor hba_authname. The previous implementation (from 9afffcb833) had an
unnecessary check on the boundaries of the enum which trigtered compile
warnings. To clean it up, move the pre-existing static assert to a central
location and call that. Reported-By: Erik Rijkers Reviewed-By: Michael
Paquier Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/1056399262.13159.1617793249020@webmailclassic.xs4all.nl](https://postgr.es/m/1056399262.13159.1617793249020@webmailclassic.xs4all.nl)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c1968426ba3de1fe37848863e35fff30261bf941](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/c1968426ba3de1fe37848863e35fff30261bf941)

- Track identical top vs nested queries independently in pg_stat_statements.
Changing pg_stat_statements.track between 'all' and 'top' would control if
pg_stat_statements tracked just top level statements or also statements inside
functions, but when tracking all it would not differentiate between the two.
Being table to differentiate this is useful both to track where the actual
query is coming from, and to see if there are differences in executions
between the two. To do this, add a boolean to the hash key indicating if the
statement was top level or not. Experience from the pg_stat_kcache module
shows that in at least some "reasonable worloads" only <5% of the queries show
up both top level and nested. Based on this, admittedly small, dataset, this
patch does not try to de-duplicate those query *texts*, and will just store
one copy for the top level and one for the nested. Author: Julien Rohaud
Reviewed-By: Magnus Hagander, Masahiro Ikeda Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20201202040516.GA43757@nol](https://postgr.es/m/20201202040516.GA43757@nol)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6b4d23feef6e334fb85af077f2857f62ab781848](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/6b4d23feef6e334fb85af077f2857f62ab781848)

- Add functions to wait for backend termination. This adds a function,
pg_wait_for_backend_termination(), and a new timeout argument to
pg_terminate_backend(), which will wait for the backend to actually terminate
(with or without signaling it to do so depending on which function is called).
The default behaviour of pg_terminate_backend() remains being timeout=0 which
does not waiting. For pg_wait_for_backend_termination() the default wait is 5
seconds. Author: Bharath Rupireddy Reviewed-By: Fujii Masao, David Johnston,
Muhammad Usama, Hou Zhijie, Magnus Hagander Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACUBpunmyhYZw-kXCYs5NM+h6oG_7Df_Tn4mLmmUQifkqA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CALj2ACUBpunmyhYZw-kXCYs5NM+h6oG_7Df_Tn4mLmmUQifkqA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/aaf043257205ec523f1ba09a3856464d17cf2281](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/aaf043257205ec523f1ba09a3856464d17cf2281)

- Merge v1.10 of pg_stat_statements into v1.9. v1.9 is already new in this
version of PostgreSQL, so turn it into just one change. Author: Julien Rohaud
[https://postgr.es/m/20210408120505.7zinijtdexbyghvb@nol](https://postgr.es/m/20210408120505.7zinijtdexbyghvb@nol)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5844c23dc50508aefeb8183be45f4ee99e9dec17](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5844c23dc50508aefeb8183be45f4ee99e9dec17)

- Fix typo. Author: Daniel Westermann Backpatch-through: 9.6 Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/GV0P278MB0483A7AA85BAFCC06D90F453D2739@GV0P278MB0483.CHEP278.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM](https://postgr.es/m/GV0P278MB0483A7AA85BAFCC06D90F453D2739@GV0P278MB0483.CHEP278.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1798d8f8b6fbb8ff922f640ff2d5dbd3e47064a2](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1798d8f8b6fbb8ff922f640ff2d5dbd3e47064a2)

Robert Haas pushed:

- amcheck: Remove duplicate XID/MXID bounds checks. Commit
3b6c1259f9ca8e21860aaf24ec6735a8e5598ea0 resulted in the same xmin and xmax
bounds checking being performed in both check_tuple() and
check_tuple_visibility(). Remove the duplication. While at it, adjust some
code comments that were overlooked in that commit. Mark Dilger Discussion:
[http://postgr.es/m/AC5479E4-6321-473D-AC92-5EC36299FBC2@enterprisedb.com](http://postgr.es/m/AC5479E4-6321-473D-AC92-5EC36299FBC2@enterprisedb.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4573f6a9af6e232ba073392716a051ae2017d1e9](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4573f6a9af6e232ba073392716a051ae2017d1e9)

- amcheck: fix multiple problems with TOAST pointer validation. First, don't
perform database access while holding a buffer lock. When checking a heap, we
can validate that TOAST pointers are sane by performing a scan on the TOAST
index and looking up the chunks that correspond to each value ID that appears
in a TOAST poiner in the main table. But, to do that while holding a buffer
lock at least risks causing other backends to wait uninterruptibly, and
probably can cause undetected and uninterruptible deadlocks. So, instead,
make a list of checks to perform while holding the lock, and then perform the
checks after releasing it. Second, adjust things so that we don't try to
follow TOAST pointers for tuples that are already eligible to be pruned. The
TOAST tuples become eligible for pruning at the same time that the main tuple
does, so trying to check them may lead to spurious reports of corruption, as
observed in the buildfarm. The necessary infrastructure to decide whether or
not the tuple being checked is prunable was added by commit
3b6c1259f9ca8e21860aaf24ec6735a8e5598ea0, but it wasn't actually used for its
intended purpose prior to this patch. Mark Dilger, adjusted by me to avoid a
memory leak. Discussion:
[http://postgr.es/m/AC5479E4-6321-473D-AC92-5EC36299FBC2@enterprisedb.com](http://postgr.es/m/AC5479E4-6321-473D-AC92-5EC36299FBC2@enterprisedb.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ec7ffb8096e8eb90f4c9230f7ba9487f0abe1a9f](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/ec7ffb8096e8eb90f4c9230f7ba9487f0abe1a9f)

Bruce Momjian pushed:

- Move pg_stat_statements query jumbling to core. Add compute_query_id GUC to
control whether a query identifier should be computed by the core (off by
default). It's thefore now possible to disable core queryid computation and
use pg_stat_statements with a different algorithm to compute the query
identifier by using a third-party module. To ensure that a single source of
query identifier can be used and is well defined, modules that calculate a
query identifier should throw an error if compute_query_id specified to
compute a query id and if a query idenfitier was already calculated.
[https://postgr.es/m/20210407125726.tkvjdbw76hxnpwfi@nol](https://postgr.es/m/20210407125726.tkvjdbw76hxnpwfi@nol)
Author: Julien Rouhaud Reviewed-by: Alvaro Herrera, Nitin Jadhav, Zhihong Yu
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5fd9dfa5f50e4906c35133a414ebec5b6d518493](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/5fd9dfa5f50e4906c35133a414ebec5b6d518493)

- Make use of in-core query id added by commit 5fd9dfa5f5. Use the in-core query
id computation for pg_stat_activity, log_line_prefix, and EXPLAIN VERBOSE.
Similar to other fields in pg_stat_activity, only the queryid from the top
level statements are exposed, and if the backends status isn't active then the
queryid from the last executed statements is displayed. Add a %Q placeholder
to include the queryid in log_line_prefix, which will also only expose top
level statements. For EXPLAIN VERBOSE, if a query identifier has been
computed, either by enabling compute_query_id or using a third-party module,
display it. Bump catalog version. Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210407125726.tkvjdbw76hxnpwfi@nol](https://postgr.es/m/20210407125726.tkvjdbw76hxnpwfi@nol)
Author: Julien Rouhaud Reviewed-by: Alvaro Herrera, Nitin Jadhav, Zhihong Yu
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4f0b0966c866ae9f0e15d7cc73ccf7ce4e1af84b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/4f0b0966c866ae9f0e15d7cc73ccf7ce4e1af84b)

- Fix regression test failure caused by commit 4f0b0966c8. The query originally
used was too simple, cause explain_filter() to be unable to remove JIT output
text. Reported-by: Tom Lane Author: Julien Rouhaud
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bc70728693bc2d28db7125e7a24d78ad7612f58c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/bc70728693bc2d28db7125e7a24d78ad7612f58c)

- Add csvlog output for the new query_id value. This also adjusts the printf
format for query id used by log_line_prefix (%Q). Reported-by: Justin Pryzby
[https://postgr.es/m/20210408005402.GG24239@momjian.us](https://postgr.es/m/20210408005402.GG24239@momjian.us)
Author: Julien Rouhaud, Bruce Momjian
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f57a2f5e03054ade221e554c70e628e1ffae1b66](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f57a2f5e03054ade221e554c70e628e1ffae1b66)

- Fixes for query_id feature. Ignore parallel workers in pg_stat_statements
Oversight in 4f0b0966c8 which exposed queryid in parallel workers. Counters
are aggregated by the main backend process so parallel workers would report
duplicated activity, and could also report activity for the wrong entry as
they are only aware of the top level queryid. Fix thinko in
pg_stat_get_activity when retrieving the queryid. Remove unnecessary call to
pgstat_report_queryid(). Reported-by: Amit Kapila, Andres Freund, Thomas
Munro Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210408051735.lfbdzun5zdlax5gd@alap3.anarazel.de](https://postgr.es/m/20210408051735.lfbdzun5zdlax5gd@alap3.anarazel.de)
p634GTSOqnDW86Owrn6qDAVosC5dJjXjp7BMfc5Gz1Q(at)mail(dot)gmail(dot)com Author: Julien
Rouhaud
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0f61727b75b93915ca9a9f20c996ed7020996a38](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/0f61727b75b93915ca9a9f20c996ed7020996a38)

Thomas Munro pushed:

- Provide ReadRecentBuffer() to re-pin buffers by ID. If you know the ID of a
buffer that recently held a block that you would like to pin, this function
can be used check if it's still there. It can be used to avoid a second
lookup in the buffer mapping table after PrefetchBuffer() reports a cache hit.
Reviewed-by: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CA+hUKGJ4VJN8ttxScUFM8dOKX0BrBiboo5uz1cq=AovOddfHpA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CA+hUKGJ4VJN8ttxScUFM8dOKX0BrBiboo5uz1cq=AovOddfHpA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2f27f8c511494cca9e0e9a4eeeb102fa9f193002](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/2f27f8c511494cca9e0e9a4eeeb102fa9f193002)

- Optionally prefetch referenced data in recovery. Introduce a new GUC
recovery_prefetch, disabled by default. When enabled, look ahead in the WAL
and try to initiate asynchronous reading of referenced data blocks that are
not yet cached in our buffer pool. For now, this is done with posix_fadvise(),
which has several caveats. Better mechanisms will follow in later work on the
I/O subsystem. The GUC maintenance_io_concurrency is used to limit the number
of concurrent I/Os we allow ourselves to initiate, based on pessimistic
heuristics used to infer that I/Os have begun and completed. The GUC
wal_decode_buffer_size is used to limit the maximum distance we are prepared
to read ahead in the WAL to find uncached blocks. Reviewed-by: Alvaro Herrera
<alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> (parts) Reviewed-by: Andres Freund
<andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> (parts) Reviewed-by: Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> (parts) Tested-by: Tomas Vondra
<tomas(dot)vondra(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com> Tested-by: Jakub Wartak
<Jakub(dot)Wartak(at)tomtom(dot)com> Tested-by: Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>
Tested-by: Sait Talha Nisanci <Sait(dot)Nisanci(at)microsoft(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/CA%2BhUKGJ4VJN8ttxScUFM8dOKX0BrBiboo5uz1cq%3DAovOddfHpA%40mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CA%2BhUKGJ4VJN8ttxScUFM8dOKX0BrBiboo5uz1cq%3DAovOddfHpA%40mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1d257577e08d3e598011d6850fd1025858de8c8c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/1d257577e08d3e598011d6850fd1025858de8c8c)

- Remove read_page callback from XLogReader. Previously, the XLogReader module
would fetch new input data using a callback function. Redesign the interface
so that it tells the caller to insert more data with a special return value
instead. This API suits later patches for prefetching, encryption and maybe
other future projects that would otherwise require continually extending the
callback interface. As incidental cleanup work, move global variables
readOff, readLen and readSegNo inside XlogReaderState. Author: Kyotaro
HORIGUCHI <horiguchi(dot)kyotaro(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp> Author: Heikki Linnakangas
<hlinnaka(at)iki(dot)fi> (parts of earlier version) Reviewed-by: Antonin Houska
<ah(at)cybertec(dot)at> Reviewed-by: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Reviewed-by: Takashi Menjo <takashi(dot)menjo(at)gmail(dot)com> Reviewed-by: Andres
Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de> Reviewed-by: Thomas Munro <thomas(dot)munro(at)gmail(dot)com>
[https://postgr.es/m/20190418.210257.43726183.horiguchi.kyotaro%40lab.ntt.co.jp](https://postgr.es/m/20190418.210257.43726183.horiguchi.kyotaro%40lab.ntt.co.jp)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/323cbe7c7ddcf18aaf24b7f6d682a45a61d4e31b](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/323cbe7c7ddcf18aaf24b7f6d682a45a61d4e31b)

- Add circular WAL decoding buffer. Teach xlogreader.c to decode its output into
a circular buffer, to support optimizations based on looking ahead. *
XLogReadRecord() works as before, consuming records one by one, and
allowing them to be examined via the traditional XLogRecGetXXX() macros.
* An alternative new interface XLogNextRecord() is added that returns
pointers to DecodedXLogRecord structs that can be examined directly. *
XLogReadAhead() provides a second cursor that lets you see further ahead,
as long as data is available and there is enough space in the decoding
buffer. This returns DecodedXLogRecord pointers to the caller, but also
adds them to a queue of records that will later be consumed by
XLogNextRecord()/XLogReadRecord(). The buffer's size is controlled with
wal_decode_buffer_size. The buffer could potentially be placed into shared
memory, for future projects. Large records that don't fit in the circular
buffer are called "oversized" and allocated separately with palloc().
[https://postgr.es/m/CA+hUKGJ4VJN8ttxScUFM8dOKX0BrBiboo5uz1cq=AovOddfHpA@mail.gmail.com](https://postgr.es/m/CA+hUKGJ4VJN8ttxScUFM8dOKX0BrBiboo5uz1cq=AovOddfHpA@mail.gmail.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f003d9f8721b3249e4aec8a1946034579d40d42c](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/f003d9f8721b3249e4aec8a1946034579d40d42c)

- Remove duplicate typedef. Thinko in commit 323cbe7c, per complaint from BF
animal locust's older GCC compiler.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/34399a670a1c559ef8a355ed25d090d73e400ad4](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/34399a670a1c559ef8a355ed25d090d73e400ad4)

- Doc: Review for "Optionally prefetch referenced data in recovery.". Typos,
corrections and language improvements in the docs, and a few in code comments
too. Reported-by: Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/20210409033703.GP6592%40telsasoft.com](https://postgr.es/m/20210409033703.GP6592%40telsasoft.com)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dc88460c24ed71ba7464ef4749e5f25da1bf6652](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/dc88460c24ed71ba7464ef4749e5f25da1bf6652)

- Make new GUC short descriptions more consistent. Reported-by: Daniel
Westermann (DWE) <daniel(dot)westermann(at)dbi-services(dot)com> Discussion:
[https://postgr.es/m/GV0P278MB0483490FEAC879DCA5ED583DD2739%40GV0P278MB0483.CHEP278.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM](https://postgr.es/m/GV0P278MB0483490FEAC879DCA5ED583DD2739%40GV0P278MB0483.CHEP278.PROD.OUTLOOK.COM)
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/846d35b2dc1bd4d09f5e3e5e5a2cc8efafeb600e](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/846d35b2dc1bd4d09f5e3e5e5a2cc8efafeb600e)

Noah Misch pushed:

- Standardize pg_authid oid_symbol values. Commit
c9c41c7a337d3e2deb0b2a193e9ecfb865d8f52b used two different naming patterns.
Standardize on the majority pattern, which was the only pattern in the last
reviewed version of that commit.
[https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/df5efaf4410f94cc1b69e8ade1d64dc92232ec1d](https://git.postgresql.org/pg/commitdiff/df5efaf4410f94cc1b69e8ade1d64dc92232ec1d)

# Pending Patches

Bharath Rupireddy sent in another revision of a patch to add table AMs for
multi- and single inserts, and use same for CTAS, REFRESH MATERIALIZED VIEW, and
COPY.

Sait Talha Nisanci sent in another revision of a patch intended to fix a bug
that manifested as a crash in record_type_typmod_compare.

Bharath Rupireddy sent in two more revisions of a patch to clarify the error
message caused by adding a non-table to a publication, naming the type of object
it is rather than the type (table) it's not.

Jaime Casanova sent in a patch to use AV worker items infrastructure for GIN
pending list's cleanup.

Jürgen Purtz sent in another revision of a patch to add a chapter on
architecture to the tutorial.

Andres Freund sent in another revision of a patch to move the stats collector's
temporary storage from files to shared memory.

Amul Sul sent in three more revisions of a patch to implement ALTER SYSTEM READ
{ONLY | WRITE}.

Michaël Paquier sent in another revision of a patch to make it possible to use
NSS as a libpq TLS backend.

Vigneshwaran C, Amit Kapila, and Masahiko Sawada traded patches to use HTAB for
replication slot stats.

Bruce Momjian sent in two revisions of a patch to fix and clarify the
documentation for some corner cases in interval arithmetic.

Jaime Casanova sent in a patch to document the fact that BRIN's autosummarize
parameter is off by default.

Heikki Linnakangas sent in another revision of a patch to simplify COPY FROM
parsing by forcing lookahead.

Bruce Momjian sent in another revision of a patch to implement key management.

Amit Langote sent in two more revisions of a patch to allow batching of inserts
during cross-partition updates.

Bertrand Drouvot sent in three more revisions of a patch to make it possible to
have minimal logical decoding on standbys.

Himanshu Upadhyaya sent in two revisions of a patch to fix an infelicity between
PREPARE TRANSACTION and TEMP TABLEs.

Thomas Munro and Kyotaro HORIGUCHI traded patches to remove the read_page
callback from XLogReadRecord.

Justin Pryzby sent in two more revisions of a patch to make `pg_ls_*` show
directories and shared filesets.

Hou Zhijie, Masahiko Sawada, Amit Langote, and Shi Yu traded patches to plug a
table reference leak in logical replication.

Fabien COELHO and Michaël Paquier traded patches to add a SHOW_ALL_RESULTS
option to psql.

Takamichi Osumi sent in another revision of a patch to make it possible to
disable WAL logging to speed up data loading.

Yugo Nagata sent in another revision of a patch to implement incremental view
maintenance.

Michael Banck sent in another revision of a patch to add a new PGC_ADMINSET GUC
context, administrator, and add a pg_change_role_settings predefined role.

Pavel Borisov sent in a patch to ensure same treatment of page header and page
special size alignment during page init. Both are now just checked for proper
alignment with asserts not MAXALIGNing anything silently. Caller should give
properly maxalinged values into page init function.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to add a PSQL_WATCH_PAGER
setting for psql's \watch command.

Tom Lane sent in three more revisions of a patch to make it possible for psql
\df to choose functions by their arguments.

Vigneshwaran C sent in another revision of a patch to identify missing
publications from publishers during CREATE/ALTER SUBSCRIPTION.

Ajin Cherian and Amit Kapila traded patches to add missing documentation for
streaming in-progress transactions.

Peter Smith sent in three more revisions of a patch to add logical decoding of
two-phase transactions.

Thomas Munro sent in another revision of a patch to implement WAL prefetching.

Thomas Munro and Andrey Borodin traded patches to make all SLRU buffer sizes
configurable.

Andrey V. Lepikhov sent in another revision of a patch to remove the 64k
rangetable limit.

Haotian Wu sent in a patch to add a --drop-cascade to pg_dump/restore.

Bharath Rupireddy sent in a patch to disallow the RESTART option for CREATE
SEQUENCE, as it only makes sense in the case of ALTER SEQUENCE.

Andres Freund sent in a patch to fix a race in
InvalidateObsoleteReplicationSlots() and re-remove SlotAcquireBehavior.

Bharath Rupireddy sent in three revisions of a patch to simplify the backend
terminate and wait logic in the postgres_fdw test.

Justin Pryzby sent in another revision of a patch to change
track_activity_query_size from the previously correct Resource Usage / Memory to
STATS_COLLECTOR category, make log_autovacuum_min_duration LOGGING_WHAT, make
track_commit_timestamp REPLICATION_SENDING, and change force_parallel_mode to a
DEVELOPER GUC, and remove it from sample config to help avoid users finding this
option and changing it in hopes that it'll make their queries faster, but
without reading the documentation or understanding what it does.

Justin Pryzby sent in another revision of a patch to speed up COPY FROM to
partitioned tables with foreign partitions.

Thomas Munro sent in a patch to use SIGIO to detect postmaster death.

Pavel Borisov sent in a patch to stabilize the tablespaces test for partitioned
indexes. When doing tablespace tests, sometimes (very rarely) the order of parent
and child tables changed, which made the test fail.

Maxim Orlov sent in another revision of a patch intended to fix a bug that
manifested as SSL negotiation error on massive connect/disconnect.

Andrey V. Lepikhov sent in another revision of a patch to make asymmetric
partitionwise joins work more efficiently by teaching the optimizer to consider
a partitionwise join of a non-partitioned table with each partition of
partitioned table. This technique causes changes to the 'reparameterize by
child' machinery.

Michaël Paquier sent in a patch to move tablespace path re-creation from the
makefiles to pg_regress.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to implement schema variables.

Tom Lane sent in a patch intended to fix a bug that manifested as reference leak
with type by giving up on associating a long-lived tupdesc refcount with these
expression nodes at all, relying instead on the fact that typcache entries never
go away once made.

Rémi Lapeyre sent in three more revisions of a patch to add header support to
"COPY TO" text format, and a corresponding header matching mode to "COPY FROM".

Justin Pryzby sent in another revision of a patch to ALTER TABLE ... DETACH
CONCURRENTLY to avoid creation of redundant constraint.

Pavel Stěhule sent in another revision of a patch to add an `--options-file`
option to pg_dump/pg_restore.

Tom Lane sent in a patch to make PGWARNING and PGERROR universally available.

Peter Geoghegan sent in a patch intended to fix a bug that manifested as PANIC:
wrong buffer passed to visibilitymap_clear by acquiring a super-exclusive lock
in lazy_vacuum_heap_rel() again.

Ranier Vilela sent in a patch to fix an uninitialized scalar variable in
src/backend/statistics/extended_stats.c.