Re: Bunch of tsearch fixes and cleanup

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>
Cc: "Patches" <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Teodor Sigaev <teodor(at)sigaev(dot)ru>, Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Subject: Re: Bunch of tsearch fixes and cleanup
Date: 2007-08-23 14:49:27
Lists: pgsql-patches
"Heikki Linnakangas" <heikki(at)enterprisedb(dot)com> writes:
> - readstopwords calls recode_and_lowerstr directly, instead of using the
>  "wordop" function pointer in StopList struct. All callers used
> recode_and_lowerstr anyway, so this simplifies the code a little bit. Is
> there any external dictionary implementations that would require
> different behavior?

I don't think eliminating wordop altogether is such a hot idea; some
dictionary could possibly want to do different processing than that.

Something that was annoying me yesterday was that it was not clear
whether we had fixed every single place that uses a tsearch config file
to assume that the file is in UTF8 and should be converted to database
encoding.  So I was thinking of hardwiring the "recode" part into
readstopwords, and using wordop just for the "lowercase" part, which
seemed to me like a saner division of labor.  That is, UTF8 is a policy
that we want to enforce globally, but lowercasing maybe not, and this
still leaves the door open for more processing besides lowercasing.

Oleg, Teodor, what do you think about this?