Re: libpq_r

From: Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>
To: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
Cc: Larry Rosenman <ler(at)lerctr(dot)org>, Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>, Lee Kindness <lkindness(at)csl(dot)co(dot)uk>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL Development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: libpq_r
Date: 2003-07-24 16:08:31
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Peter Eisentraut writes:
> Larry Rosenman writes:
> > I beg to differ. Explicitly, on UnixWare, the <errno.h> header,
> > reproduced below, under fair use, show an EXPLICIT difference in what
> > happens with _REENTRANT:
> Hmm, I was too optimistic. I guess we'll just have to handcraft a
> different solution for each platform. But clearly on some platforms we'll
> need a libpq_r, so for the reasons I outlined in my initial post, it'd be
> good to provide one on all platforms.

Sorry, but can you elaborate? I can't see any need with the above
reasoning. I managed to find your original post (amazingly hard when
you're in digest mode and the post has an empty subject!) and I think
the responses in this thread have demonstrated that there is no need
for a libpq_r.so, but there is need for a libecpg_r.so

I guess we're going to have get down to the code level to demonstrate
this! If you compile a example library with _REENTRANT and use _r
functions and the function version of errno then it can be used no
problem by a library compiled without _REENTRANT and expecting errno
to be an int...

Unfortunately i'm leaving on holiday tonight until Monday so will not
be able to get the example done...

Regards, Lee.