Re: Converting postgresql.conf parameters to kilobytes

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, shridhar(at)frodo(dot)hserus(dot)net
Subject: Re: Converting postgresql.conf parameters to kilobytes
Date: 2004-06-01 21:33:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> As long as we're messing around with PostgreSQL.conf, I propose that we
> comment the file much more thouroughly -- in the style of Apache's httpd.conf
> and our own pg_hba.conf (though maybe not quite as long as hba).

ISTM we had decided that putting vast amounts of documentation into the
file comments was exactly the thing *not* to do.  It duplicates the SGML
documentation, thereby doubling the maintenance effort, to very little
purpose.  pg_hba's comments in particular had gotten quite out of hand
at one point, and have been pruned back severely.  Let's not follow the
same wheel of fate for postgresql.conf.