Re: "dumpProcLangs(): handler procedure for language plpgsql not found" on 7.0.3

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brian Fujito <brian(at)lightsource(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: "dumpProcLangs(): handler procedure for language plpgsql not found" on 7.0.3
Date: 2002-12-09 19:28:02
Lists: pgsql-admin

Brian Fujito <brian(at)lightsource(dot)com> writes:
> I'm running postgres-7.0.3 on RH7.1 using RedHat RPMs.
> I recently added plpgsql as a language to one of my databases,
> and now when I try to do a pg_dump, I get:

> "dumpProcLangs(): handler procedure for language plpgsql not found"

> If I drop the language, pg_dump works fine, but if I add it back (and
> even if I restart postgres), I get the same error.

What exactly are you doing to drop and re-add the language? I should
think CREATE LANGUAGE would fail if the handler proc isn't there.

(Also, are you doing pg_dump or pg_dumpall? If the latter, maybe the
failure is occurring in a different database than the one you are
changing.)

But having said that, 7.0.3 is ancient history ... you really are
overdue for an upgrade. With my Red Hat fedora on, I'd say the same
about your choice of OS version too.