Re: DEBUG lines in server log

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <pgman(at)candle(dot)pha(dot)pa(dot)us>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: DEBUG lines in server log
Date: 2001-11-26 23:44:07
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Someone on IRC complained about these lines in the server log:
> DEBUG: database system was shut down at 2001-11-26 16:44:06 EST
> DEBUG: checkpoint record is at 0/1361168
> DEBUG: redo record is at 0/1361168; undo record is at 0/0; shutdown TRUE
> DEBUG: next transaction id: 4484; next oid: 147882
> DEBUG: database system is ready

> Should they be there, and should they say DEBUG?

They look like DEBUG messages to me ;-)

I would certainly not want the postmaster to start up completely
silently; the "database system is ready" message should absolutely not
be removed. The "when shut down" output also seems moderately useful
to admins. The middle three lines are perhaps not useful in normal
operation but I can see them being pretty important in a failure
scenario, so I'm not that much in a hurry to take them out either.

What exactly was the complaint, or rationale for complaining?