Re: Bug #897: EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM column): Possible wrong output

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: jonas(at)understroem(dot)dk, pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org, Thomas Lockhart <lockhart(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Bug #897: EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM column): Possible wrong output
Date: 2003-02-15 15:23:11
Lists: pgsql-bugs

pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org writes:
> I'm not sure whether this is actually a bug, but here goes: If you define a column as TIMESTAMP WITHOUT TIME ZONE (or TIMESTAMP(0) WITHOUT TIME ZONE), EXTRACT(EPOCH FROM column) returns a time stamp that is exactly one hour later than the time stamp from a column which contains the same date but is defined WITH TIME ZONE. Please see the example for clarification.

When I do it, I get a value five hours earlier ;-)

I believe what is actually happening is that the
timestamp-without-time-zone value is treated as though it were GMT.
I'm not sure whether to consider that a bug or not.

In most other contexts, we interpret such values as being in local time
(the current server TimeZone) when it's necessary to make a distinction.
Consistency would suggest doing it that way here too, I think.

That would mean that extract(epoch from timestamp) would behave exactly
like extract(epoch from timestamp::timestamptz). To get at the current
behavior, you'd need to do something like extract(epoch from timestamp
at time zone 'gmt').

Is that what we want? Thomas, any opinion here?

regards, tom lane