Re: install-strip causes dyld errors on OS X

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Meredith L(dot) Patterson" <mlp(at)osogato(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: install-strip causes dyld errors on OS X
Date: 2007-10-30 04:59:23
Lists: pgsql-hackers pgsql-patches

"Meredith L. Patterson" <mlp(at)osogato(dot)com> writes:
> In brief, when installing on OS X with "make install-strip",
> installation goes fine, but initdb dies here:
> I see three possible fixes:
> 1) Patch config/install-sh such that on OS X, install-strip calls 'strip
> -x'. This removes local symbols only.

+1 on this one --- seems about the right level of effort, considering
that install-strip isn't exactly an encouraged option anyway. (Does
anyone still care about the amount of disk space involved? And it makes
debugging problems infinitely harder.)

Just for the record, I'd like to put forward the alternative solution
of removing support for install-strip. But assuming there are
objections to that, please send in the mentioned 4-line patch ...