Re: Filtering tables based on user privileges

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Brijesh Shrivastav <Bshrivastav(at)esri(dot)com>
Cc: "Pglibpq (E-mail)" <pgsql-interfaces(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Filtering tables based on user privileges
Date: 2004-06-16 02:57:44
Lists: pgsql-interfaces
Brijesh Shrivastav <Bshrivastav(at)esri(dot)com> writes:
> After researching again I have come with following syntax to select all
> table with specific privilege (SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE..)to current user.

> SELECT relname
>  FROM pg_class
>  WHERE pg_table_is_visible(oid)
>        AND relname !~ '^pg_'
>        AND has_table_privilege (oid,'INSERT');

> Is this the best way to do it?

You likely also want to filter on relkind, but something about like this
is probably a reasonable starting point.

> Is there any way to execute such
> a statement  for any user?

Sure, see the three-parameter variants of has_table_privilege.

> In this case such queries will most
> likely be executed by a super user.

A superuser will always be considered to have all privileges,
so the has_table_privilege filter will be a no-op for such a one.