Re: pg_regress: stat correct paths

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Jorgen Austvik <Jorgen(dot)Austvik(at)Sun(dot)COM>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)alvh(dot)no-ip(dot)org>, PostgreSQL-patches <pgsql-patches(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pg_regress: stat correct paths
Date: 2007-11-26 17:10:12
Lists: pgsql-patches
Jorgen Austvik <Jorgen(dot)Austvik(at)Sun(dot)COM> writes:
> Tom Lane wrote:
>> Actually, it looks to me like the patch is wrong specifically because
>> it does not do the right thing in the VPATH case.

> Are you thinking about "failing if the folders are missing" as "not the
> right thing in the VPATH case", or are you thinking about something else?

The point is that in VPATH you are running in a build tree, and should
copy the source files from the source tree, but *not* modify the source
tree.  Thus, fetching relative to $srcdir but writing relative to .
is in fact the correct behavior.

There has not previously been any complaint that pg_regress was broken
in this regard, so maybe you should take two steps back and explain what
problem you think needs fixing, rather than just dropping a patch on us.