Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Steve Crawford <scrawford(at)pinpointresearch(dot)com>, "Mr(dot) Aaron W(dot) Swenson" <titanofold(at)gentoo(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_upgrade - add config directory setting
Date: 2011-09-29 21:20:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers
> pg_upgrade is not about to start reading through postgresql.conf looking
> for a definition for data_directory --- there are too many cases where
> this could go wrong.  It would need a full postgresql.conf parser.

Yeah.  I think the only sensible way to do this would be to provide an
operating mode for the postgres executable that would just parse the
config file and spit out requested values.  We've had requests for that
type of functionality before, IIRC.  The --describe-config option does
something related, but not what's needed here.