Re: Problems with my server...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: "Paulo Jorge Gomes Ferreira" <paulojf(at)srsleiria(dot)min-saude(dot)pt>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Problems with my server...
Date: 2002-01-24 17:23:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs
"Paulo Jorge Gomes Ferreira" <paulojf(at)srsleiria(dot)min-saude(dot)pt> writes:
> I've got a problem in my PostgreSQL server. Anytime I issue some commands
> (like vacuum...) I got the following message:

> prescricoes=> vacuum;
> ERROR:  cannot find attribute 3 of relation pg_views

What Postgres version are you running?  (I suspect it must be pre-7.1.)

It would seem that something bad has happened to some rows in
pg_attribute.  You might possibly be able to recover by reindexing
pg_attribute, but I'm not sure that REINDEX exists or is trustworthy
in whatever version you have.  Probably the best advice is to try
to pg_dump your database, and if that's successful re-initdb and
reload.  (You'd be well advised to update to 7.1.3 while you're at it.)