Re: Maintenance question / DB size anomaly...

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-performance(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Maintenance question / DB size anomaly...
Date: 2007-06-19 16:04:19
Lists: pgsql-performance

Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org> writes:
> kurt(at)hotdogrecords(dot)com (Kurt Overberg) writes:
>> In my investigation of this anomaly, I noticed that the data/ dir on
>> db1 (the master) is around 60 Gigs. The data directory on the slaves
>> is around 25Gb. After about 3 months of head scratching, someone on
>> the irc channel suggested that it may be due to index bloat.

> I'd be inclined to head to the filesystem level, and try to see what
> tables are bloated *there*.

At least as a first cut, it should be sufficient to look at
pg_class.relpages, which'd be far easier to correlate with table names
;-). The relpages entry should be accurate as of the most recent VACUUM
on each table, which ought to be close enough unless I missed something
about the problem situation.