Re: Backup with Java

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com>
Cc: Marc Herbert <Marc(dot)Herbert(at)continuent(dot)com>, Postgres JDBC <pgsql-jdbc(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Backup with Java
Date: 2006-12-01 15:27:27
Lists: pgsql-jdbc
Csaba Nagy <nagy(at)ecircle-ag(dot)com> writes:
> Actually, if there were a working and maintained pg_upgrade, I'm pretty
> sure nobody would use pg_dump as an upgrade facility anymore.

You think so eh?  Hint: the only workable design I've seen for pg_upgrade
uses pg_dump as a component.  It's much easier to handle
version-to-version changes in pg_dump than it would be inside the server.
Example: there is no way that a pre-8.1 server could be expected to know
that it had better set standard_conforming_strings = off to ensure that
the SQL it's emitting will be understood properly by a post-8.3 server.