Re: Recovery of Multi-stage WAL actions

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovery of Multi-stage WAL actions
Date: 2007-10-30 04:48:27
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> What I'd like to do is force all of the RMs to record the lsn of any WAL
> record that starts an incomplete action.
> I'd like to suggest that those changes be performed now for 8.3 *and*
> back-patched for 8.2.

There is zero chance of the former and less than zero of the latter;
making major, hard-to-test changes in the rather-hypothetical hope
of discovering entirely-hypothetical bugs is not my idea of the way
to run a stable release branch.

Feel free to create a patch for 8.4 though --- I think this is a
reasonable suggestion for making *future* RM development safer.
(Also, if there are any bugs in the extant code, we'd presumably
back-patch fixes discovered in 8.4 testing, long as you don't
whack the code around to the point of unrecognizability...)